Origin and History
The frigate was built at Nantes as a privateer named Maréchal-de-Richelieu. In 1757, the frigate was bought by the Marine Royale and renamed “Écho”.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in the French service:
- no information available yet
- in the British service
- from October 1758 to at least 1759: captain John Laforey
The frigate was sold on June 5 1770.
Service during the War
In the Spring of 1758, the frigate was part of Beaussier's squadron which was left at Louisbourg for the defence of the place by du Chaffault when he sailed for Québec. On June 11, during the siege of Louisbourg, the frigate Écho, under cover of a fog, had been sent to Québec for aid; but she was chased and captured by the Juno (32); and, a day or two after, the French saw her pass the mouth of the harbour with a British flag at her mast-head. Louisbourg finally surrendered on July 27. A few weeks later, Boscawen sailed for Great Britain with a squadron who, on his passage, became separated. On October 27, Boscawen entered the Soundings with part of his squadron, including the Écho.
In February 1759, the frigate sailed from Spithead in Great Britain as part of the fleet destined for the expedition against Québec. The voyage was long and tedious. On April 21, when the fleet finally reached Louisbourg, it was to find the harbour blocked with ice, so that the fleet made for Halifax instead. The fleet finally sailed for Louisbourg in May. Between June 1 and 6, the fleet gradually left the harbour of Louisbourg and sailed for Québec. On June 23, Saunders' fleet made a junction with Durell's squadron at Isles-aux-Coudres. On June 26, the whole British fleet of vice-admiral Saunders was anchored safely off the southern shore of Isle-d'Orléans, a few km below Québec without loosing a single ship. The town finally surrendered on September 18. At the end of October, vice-admiral Saunders fired his farewell salute and dropped down the Saint-Laurent river with his fleet on his way to Great Britain. However, he also left captain lord Colville in command of a small squadron, including this frigate, in North America.
On May 12 1760, the frigate, which had been sailing from North America, joined a small flotilla to the leeward of Dominique. This flotilla transported British reinforcements to various garrisons on Guadeloupe Island.
To do: campaigns from 1761 to 1762
|Guns||26 (24 as per Blasco and Deschênes)
|Crew||No information found yet|
|Length||118 ft (35.97 m)|
|Width||32 ft 6 in (9.91 m)|
|Depth||No information found yet|
|Displacement||No information found yet|
Blasco, Manuel, British 6th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Deschênes , Ronald; Frégates du Roy de 1682 à 1767, Avril 2001
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.