1756 - Prussian invasion of Saxony – Saxon OOB
Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1756 - Prussian invasion of Saxony >> Detailed order of battle of the Saxon Army at Pirna in September 1756
In September 1756, the Saxon Army was entrenched in a very strong position at Pirna.
Commander-in-chief: Count Rutowsky
Summary: 24 infantry bns, 7 grenadier bns, 28 cuirassier sqns, 4 light dragoon sqns, 97 artillery pieces, 50 pontoons, for a total of some 20,000 men (excluding generals, adjutants and noncombattants).
|Grenadiers||Infantry||Cavalry under the Chevalier de Saxe|
|Right Wing Grenadiers
||Right Wing Infantry under von Rochow assisted by von Minckwitz
||Right Wing of Cavalry under Fürst von Arnim assisted by von Vitzthum
|Left Wing Grenadiers
||Left Wing Infantry under von Hardthausen assisted by von Meagher
||Left Wing of Cavalry under the Fürst von Anhalt assisted by von Plötz
Artillery park (in the middle of the second line) under von Wilster:
- Artillery (489 men in 4 coys)
- Hauss-Artillerie (119 in 1 coy)
- Miners (12 men)
- Pontoniers (8 men)
- Ingenieurkorps (55 men)
- 12 x 24-pdr guns
- 27 x 12-pdr guns
- 4 x 6-pdr guns
- 4 x 24-pdr howitzers
- 50 x 6-pdr battalion guns
- 50 tin pontoons
The Fortress of Sonnenstein was occupied by 125 men under the command of Lieutenant-General von Rochow.
The Town of Pirna was occupied by the garrison companies of Wittenberg (354 men in 4 coys), Pleissenburg (115 men in 1 coy), Waldheim (176 men in 1 coy) and Sonnenstein (125 men in 1 coy); totalling 770 men.
Lieutenant-General von Pirch commanded the garrison of the Fortress of Königstein, consisting of 195 men (mostly picked grenadiers).
Unrecorded: Cadets (155 men in 1 coy)
Großer Generalstab, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen. Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763, Vol. 5, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Berlin, 1901-1914
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, pp. 219-220, Appendix 8 and 9