1758 – Russian Army Winter Quarters

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 10:31, 21 December 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1758 - Russian invasion of Brandenburg >> Russian Army Winter-quarters - November

Description

By November 1758, the Russian Army which had invaded East Prussia and Brandenburg had gradually retreated to East Prussia and Poland.

On November 13, the Russian army divided up into small detachments, each marching to its assigned winter quarters

In its winter-quarters, this army was positioned as follows:

First Division commanded by lieutenant-general Froloff Bagreef – Headquarters at Elbing (actual Elbląg)
Winter-quarters Infantry Cavalry
Town and district of Elbing 1st Brigade under major-general Palmbach  
Dirschau (actual Tczew) and Mewe (actual Gniew) 2nd Brigade under major-general Volkonsky  
Marienburg (actual Malbork) and suburbs 3rd Brigade under major-general Leontiev  
Heiligenbeil and Brandenburg   Cuirassiers under Demiku
  • Kievskiy
  • Novotroitskiy
  • Kazanskiy
Muhlhausen (actual Mlynary) and Preussisch Holland (actual Paslek)   Hussars under colonel Soritch
  • Vengerskiy (Hungarian)
  • Serbskiy (Serbian)
Second Division commanded by lieutenant-general Resanov – Headquarters Graudentz (actual Grudziadz)
Winter-quarters Infantry Cavalry
Graudentz and surrounding villages 1st Brigade under major-general Martuinov  
from Königsberg (actual Kaliningrad) to Wehlau (actual Znamensk) 2nd Brigade under major-general Panin  
Königsberg 3rd Brigade under major-general Plemenikov  
Creutzburg and Zinten(actual Kornewo) 3rd Brigade under major-general Plemenikov  
Riesenburg and Saalfeld (actual Zalewo)   Altesse Impériale Cuirassiers
Rosenburg and Prussian Markt   3rd Cuirassier
Neidenburg (actual Nidzica)   Narvskiy Horse Grenadiers
Soldau (actual Dzialdowo)   Kargopolskiy Horse Grenadiers
Hohenstein (actual Olsztynek)   Arkhangelogorodskiy Dragoons
Gilgenburg (actual Dabrowno)   Tobolskiy Dragoons
Morung   1st Novoserbskiy Hussars
Garnsee   Gruzinskiy (Georgian) Hussars
Freystadt   Chuguevski Cossacks
Third Division commanded by lieutenant-general Rumyantsev – Headquarters Culm (actual Chelmno)
Winter-quarters Infantry Cavalry
Culm and surrounding villages 1st Brigade under major-general Lubomirsky  
Bischoffswerder (Biskupiec), Deutsch Eylau (actual Ilawa), Liebenmuhl, Osterode (actual Ostroda) 2nd Brigade under major-general Dietz  
Allenburg, Gerdauen, Friedland (actual Prawdinsk), Schippenbeil (actual Sepopol) 3rd brigade under brigadier Hartwichs  
Passenheim (actual Pasym), Sensburg (actual Mragowo), Rastenburg (actual Ketrzyn)   Sankt-Peterburgskiy Horse Grenadiers
Rizhskiy Horse Grenadiers
Ryazanskiy Horse Grenadiers
Rhein (actual Ryn), Nikolaiken (actual Mikolajki)   Tverskiy Dragoons
Nizegorodskiy Dragoons
Liebstadt (actual Milakowo)   Moldavskiy Hussars
Shevich or Preradovich Slaviano-Serbian Hussars

Besides the troops listed above, the artillery horses went to Fischausen (unidentified location) while the Observation Corps commanded by general Braun took its winter quarters in an area extending from Thorn (actual Torun) to Culm (actual Chelmno). Finally, some 5,000 Don Cossacks where stationed in two distinct corps at Oletzko (actual Olecko) under general Jefremov and in advanced posts on the other side of the Vistula under brigadier Krasnotchokov

References

This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following book which is now in the public domain:

  • Tielke, J. G., An Account of some of the most Remarkable Events of the War between the Prussians, Austrians and Russians from 1756 to 1763, Vol. 2, Walter, London, 1788, pp. 261-264