1758 - Naval operations in the Mediterranean

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 15:08, 21 December 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1758 - Naval operations in the Mediterranean

The campaign took place in April 1758

Description of events

A British squadron had been some time in the Mediterranean under the command of admiral Henry Osborn and rear-admiral Charles Saunders. The squadron consisted of:

A French squadron under M. de La Clue left Toulon in December 1757 for North America and the West Indies. This squadron consisted of:

  • 1 x 84-guns
  • 3 x 74-guns
  • 2 x 64-guns
  • 2 x 50-guns
  • 1 x 36-guns
  • 1 x 24-guns
  • 1 x 16-guns
  • 1 x 14 guns

M. de la Clue's squadron was forced by the vigilance of admiral Osborn into Cartagena and was there blockaded.

The French Government, in response to M. de La Clue's representations, sent 5 ships of the line and a frigate, under M. Duquesne, to endeavour to join him there and then to assist him in breaking the blockade. Among them, 2 ships of the line succeeded in getting in Cartagena but the rest of the force was not so fortunate. Besides these two ships, Duquesne had with him the following vessels:

At daybreak on February 28 1758, off Cape de Gata, Osborn sighted these 4 sail near his fleet and ordered them to be chased while the main part of the British squadron continued off Carthagena to watch the French ships there. Duquesne's ships separated but each was pursued. At 7:00 PM, the Revenge (64) brought the Orphée (64) to action and, on the Berwick (70) and Preston (50) coming up, the enemy struck. In the Revenge, 33 were killed and 54 wounded, among the latter being captain Storr. The Orphée was but 10 km from Cartagena when she hauled down. Meanwhile the Monmouth (64), the Swiftsure (70) and the Hampton Court (70) chased the largest of the enemy, the Foudroyant (80). The Monmouth, being far ahead of her consorts, got up with and engaged the French ship at 8:00 PM and fought her gallantly. When Gardiner fell his place was taken by lieutenant Robert Carkett till 12.30 A.M., when the Frenchman's guns were reduced to silence. Not until then was the Swiftsure able to get up. Captain Stanhope hailed the foe to know whether she had surrendered but was answered with a few guns and a volley of small arms, whereupon he poured in a broadside and part of a second, and the enemy promptly surrendered. She had 100 killed and 90 wounded, while the Monmouth lost only 28 killed and 79 wounded. It was a magnificently conducted action, and lieutenant Carkett was deservedly rewarded with the command of the prize. The Oriflamme (56) was driven ashore under the castle of Aiglos (unidentified location) by the Monarch (74) and the Montagu (60). The Oriflamme was not destroyed by reason of neutrality of the coast of Spain. The last, the Pléiade (26) got away by outsailing the British ships. Lieutenant Carkett fought the Foudroyant so courageously that admiral Osborn conferred on him the command of this ship after her capture.

In the spring, rear-admiral Saunders was relieved by rear-admiral Thomas Broderick who went out in the Prince George (90).

On April 13, the Prince George was unhappily burnt by accident with a loss of 485 lives.

Osborn continued to blockade the French in Cartagena until he was obliged to go to Gibraltar to refit, leaving only some frigates to look out off the port. M. de La Clue then escaped and returned to Toulon.

A little later Osborn, being in bad health, had to resign his command. He was succeeded by rear-admiral Broderick.


This article is essentially a compilation of texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

  1. Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 247-248
  2. Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 189-190