1760 - French campaign in Western Germany
From Project Seven Years War
(Redirected from 1760 - French campaign in West Germany)Jump to navigationJump to search
Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1760 - French campaign in Western Germany
The campaign lasted from May to December 1760
Description of Events
This article rapidly becoming quite large has been split into five distinct articles:
- Winter operations (January 1 to April 28, 1760) describing the general situation at the beginning of the year, the last operations before taking winter-quarters and the sporadic operations while in winter-quarters.
- Campaign till the combat of Korbach (April 29 to July 10, 1760) describing the French manoeuvres to make a junction of their two armies and the combat of Corbach.
- French offensive in Hesse (July 11 to September 21, 1760) describing the French offensive in Hesse and the battle of Warburg.
- Allied offensive on the Lower Rhine (September 22 to October 22, 1760) describing the Allied attempt against Wesel, the French manoeuvres to relieve the fortress, the battle of Clostercamp and the Allied retreat.
- End of the campaign (October 23 to December 31, 1760) describing the Allied defensive measures, the French maoeuvres and the Allied attempt against Göttingen.
This series of articles is a compilation of texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 521-528, 531-534
- Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 501-519
- Hotham (probably), The operations of the Allied Amy under the command of his Serene Highness Prince Ferdinand Duke of Brunswic and Luneberg beginning in the year 1757 and ending in the year 1762, London: T. Jefferies, 1764, pp. 137-184
- Jomini, baron de, Traité des grandes opérations militaires, Vol. 3, 2nd ed., Magimel, Paris, 1811, pp. 221-240
- Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. V, Paris, 1891, pp. 2-114