1st Lagos Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Portuguese Army >> 1st Lagos Infantry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised on August 14 1693 as the Terço Novo do Algarve.

In September 1762, the regiment was divided into two distinct units: the 1st and 2nd Lagos regiments.

During the Seven Years' War, these 1st regiment was under the command of:

  • 1762: count do Vimieiro

On May 10 1763, the two units were regrouped to form the Lagos Regiment.

Service during the War

At the beginning of the campaign of 1762, the regiment was assigned to the main Anglo-Portuguese army where it was deployed in the first line of the infantry centre. On Saturday September 4 at sunset, the regiment was part of this army when it moved northwards towards Miranda do Corvo to cover the Beira country. On Sunday September 5 in the morning, colonel Bohm was waiting for a column at Tomar. After an hour, the count do Prado arrived with a message from Dom Luis de Portugal informing Bohm that the column would be seriously delayed because 3 successive Masses would be celebrated to allow each soldier to attend one. On September 8, the Portuguese division finally arrived at Miranda do Corvo where Lippe-Bückeburg established his headquarters. On October 21, as part of brigadier Fraser's column, the regiment was occupying the heights between Mação and Val da Velha.

Uniform

Traditionally, since about 1660, the Portuguese infantry wore dark blue uniforms. During the War of Spanish Succession (1701-1714) almost all infantry units wore alvadia (light gray uniforms). These new uniforms were introduced for economic reasons, this type of fabric being much cheaper.

It is now believed that, from 1750, there was a progressive abandon of alvadia uniforms and a return to more traditional Portuguese uniforms. However, it seems that most of the changeover took part sometime after 1759 since, till this date, cloth orders indicated white as the most common colour.

At the outbreak of the war in 1762, there was neither enough uniforms nor cloth for recruits in military warehouses, so it was necessary to use all cloth available. Besides, as there was no central warehouse, every colonel was responsible for the ordering of uniforms. Therefore the fabric was bought from contractors who would cut and turned it into uniforms "more or less" along the official lines.

It must also be noted that the use of gaiters was introduced into the Portuguese infantry only in 1762.

Privates

no information available

Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet.

Officers

no information available

Musicians

no information available

Colours

The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown.

The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.

Please refer to our article on the Portuguese Line Infantry Colours for more information.

References

Amaral, Manuel, O Exértico Português em finais do Antiguo Regime

Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998

Acknowledgment

Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neill for the information and counselling provided for this article.