Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1689 to defend the Irish town of Enniskillen. It was known as the "Zacharaiah Tiffin's Regiment of Foot". On July 31 of the same year, it fought at the Battle of Newtownbutler. The regiment was incorporated into the English army in 1690. Until 1751, it was known by the names of its successive colonels.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment served in Scotland against the Jacobite Rising. In 1746, it fought at the Battles of Falkirk (January 17) and Culloden (April 16).
On July 1 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British infantry, the regiment was designated as the "27th (Enniskillen) Regiment of Foot".
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1725 until 1761: William Blakeney
In 1840, the spelling 'Enniskillen' was changed to 'Inniskilling'.
Service during the War
In 1757, the regiment was selected for the planned campaign against Louisbourg or Québec. On May 7, the transport fleet sailed from Cork, Ireland, arriving at Halifax on July 9. Three French Naval Squadrons reinforced Louisbourg that summer and the British expedition was cancelled. Lack of winter quarters at Halifax forced the relocation of the 27th Foot to the area around Fort Edward on the Hudson.
In Spring 1758, the regiment was assigned to the expedition against Carillon (present-day Ticonderoga) under James Abercromby. On July 5, it embarked at the head of Lake Saint-Sacrement (present-day Lake George). On July 6, at daybreak, the British flotilla reached the narrow channel leading into Lake Champlain near Fort Carillon and disembarkation began at 9:00 a.m. On July 8, the regiment fought in the disastrous Battle of Carillon. At daybreak on July 9, the British army re-embarked and retreated to the head of the lake where it reoccupied the camp it had left a few days before.
By the end of June 1759, the regiment had joined the British army assembling under the command of Lord Jeffrey Amherst, at the head of Lake Saint-Sacrement for the second expedition against Carillon. On Saturday July 21, after a long delay, the regiment finally embarked aboard the flotilla which set sail over Lake Saint-Sacrement and reached the Narrows at the outlet of the lake before nightfall. At daybreak on Sunday July 22, the British force disembarked, occupied the heights, and then advanced to the line of entrenchment of Carillon. On the night of July 23, most of the French force retired down Lake Champlain, leaving only 400 men to defend the place as long as possible. At 11:00 p.m. on July 26, the French, who had abandoned the fort, blew one of its bastion to atoms. On August 1, the British force also took possession of a destroyed Fort Saint-Frédéric (present-day Crown Point) which had been abandoned by its French garrison. The British force then spent months rebuilding the two forts and adding some outworks while vessels were being built to take command of Lake Champlain. It was not until October 11 that the British troops re-embarked aboard their flotilla. On October 18, due to bad weather, Amherst resolved to cancel out the expedition and to retreat to Crown Point.
In 1760, the regiment took part in the three pronged attack against Montréal and was present at the surrender of the town in September.
In 1761, the regiment laid idle in North America for most of the year before leaving Nova Scotia for the West Indies where it arrived in Carlisle Bay in Barbados on December 24.
In January and February 1762, the regiment took part in the expedition against Martinique. Then, from March to August, it participated in the siege and capture of Havannah, suffering heavy losses from sickness during the following months.
|Coat||brick red lined buff and laced and edged white (white braid with a yellow stripe and blue zigzag) with 3 white buttonholes under the lapels (same lace as above) and swallow nests at the shoulders (same lace as above)
|Waistcoat||brick red laced white (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||white with black buttons|
brown, grey or black during campaigns (black after 1759)
Troopers were armed with with a "Brown Bess" muskets, a bayonet and a sword. They also carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers of the regiment wore the same uniforms as the private soldiers but with the following differences
- silver gorget around the neck
- an aiguilette on the right shoulder
- silver buttons
- silver lace instead of normal lace
- a crimson sash
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command; however, officers of the grenadier company wore a more decorated mitre cap.
Officers generally carried a spontoon, however, in battle some carried muskets instead.
According to the Royal Clothing Warrant of 1751:
- The drummers of the regiment were clothed in buff, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with red, and laced in such manner as the colonel shall think fit for distinction sake, the lace, however, was of the colours of that on the soldiers' coats.
- The front or fore part of the drums was painted buff, with the regimental badge (Castle with three turrets, St. George colours flying in a blue field and the name Enniskillen over it) and the number “XXVII” under it. The rims were red.
King's Colour: Union with its centre decorated with the regimental badge (Castle with three turrets, St. George colours flying in a blue field and the name Enniskillen over it). The regiment number "XXVII" in Roman gold numerals in the upper left corner.
Regimental Colour: buff field; centre device consisting of the regimental badge (Castle with three turrets, St. George colours flying in a blue field and the name Enniskillen over it). The Union in the upper left corner with the regiment number "XXVII" in Roman gold numerals in its centre.
Aylor, Ron: British Regimental Drums and Colours
Boscawen, Hugh: The Capture of Louisbourg, 1758, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 2011
Fortescue, J. W.: A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II: The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Lawson, Cecil C. P.: A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II, p. 90-103
Mills, T. F.: Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the web)
Wikipedia: 27th Foot
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.