2nd Armada Infantry
Origin and History
The regiment originated in the Terço da Armada, raised in 1641. In 1668, this unit was renamed Regimento do Principe; in 1682 Terço da Armada again; and in 1707 Regimento da Armada.
In September 1762, the regiment was divided into two distinct units: the 1st and 2nd Armada regiments.
During the Seven Years' War, the 2nd regiment was under the command of:
- in 1762: João Correia de Sa
When the count of Lippe-Bückeburg reorganized the Portuguese army in 1764, the regiment retained its designation of “2nd Armada”.
Service during the War
no information available yet
The uniform described in this section is based on an illustration of the 2nd Armada Regiment in 1783. However, it seems that green with red distinctions had been the uniform of the Armada Real regiment since 1723.
|Coat||green lined red with 3 white buttons under each lapel
|Waistcoat||red with white buttons and horizontal pockets (also with white buttons)|
Armaments consisted of a musket, a bayonet and a curved sabre.
The officers wore a uniform very similar to the one worn by privates with the following distinctions:
- a silver gorget
- green coat edged silver
- red lapels edged silver
- red cuffs edged silver
- red waistcoat edged silver with silver buttonholes
- red sash with tassels
Musicians wore uniforms similar to those of the privates but in reverse colours (red coat lined red, red collar, red lapels, red cuffs, red turnbacks, green waistcoat)
The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown.
The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.
Please refer to our article on the Portuguese Line Infantry Colours for more information.
Amaral, Manuel, O Exértico Português em finais do Antiguo Regime
Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998
Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neill for the initial version of this article.