2nd Chaves Infantry
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1643 as the Terço de Chaves.
On April 20 1762, the regiment was divided into two distinct units: the 1st and 2nd Chaves regiments.
During the Seven Years' War, the 2nd regiments was under the command of:
- João António de Sá Pereira
Service during the War
At the beginning of the campaign of 1762, the regiment was assigned to the Portuguese corps operating in the province of Beira under lieutenant-general Townshend and the count de Santiago. Its mission was to cover the Beira Baixa region against Spanish incursions.
Traditionally, since about 1660, the Portuguese infantry wore dark blue uniforms. During the War of Spanish Succession (1701-1714) almost all infantry units wore alvadia (light gray uniforms). These new uniforms were introduced for economic reasons, this type of fabric being much cheaper.
It is now believed that, from 1750, there was a progressive abandon of alvadia uniforms and a return to more traditional Portuguese uniforms. However, it seems that most of the changeover took part sometime after 1759 since, till this date, cloth orders indicated white as the most common colour.
At the outbreak of the war in 1762, there was neither enough uniforms nor cloth for recruits in military warehouses, so it was necessary to use all cloth available. Besides, as there was no central warehouse, every colonel was responsible for the ordering of uniforms. Therefore the fabric was bought from contractors who would cut and turned it into uniforms "more or less" along the official lines.
It must also be noted that the use of gaiters was introduced into the Portuguese infantry only in 1762.
|Coat||dark brown lined red with one white button above the right lapel, one white button under the right lapel and one white button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||dark brown with white buttons and narrow white buttonholes|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet.
Officers wore a uniform very similar to the one worn by privates with the following distinctions:
- a gold laced tricorne
- a duty gorget
- a thin silver lace at the collar
- red waistcoat laced silver with 2 rows of white buttons, each pair of buttons joined by a narrow white buttonhole
- an officer stick
- a sword
- a spontoon
Drummers wore a uniform very similar to the one worn by privates with the following distinctions:
- a white lace edging the seams of the coat; and the collar, lapels and cuffs
- a white lace edging the waistcoat
- 3 inverted white chevrons on each sleeve
The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown.
The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.
Please refer to our article on the Portuguese Line Infantry Colours for more information.
Amaral, Manuel, O Exértico Português em finais do Antiguo Regime
Kirby, Mike, The Portuguese Army - Seven Years War, Seven Years War Association Journal, Vol. XII No. 3
Moskowich, Emilio; Portuguese Army in SYW, 1st ed., March 2006
Pereira Sales, Ernesto Augusto; O Conde de Lippe em Portugal, Vila Nova de Famalicao: Publicacoes da Comissao de Historia Militar, 1936
Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998
Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues, Joseph O'Neil and Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article.