2nd Regimental Artillery Regiment
Origin and History
The regiment was created during the Shuvalov's reform, in January 1757, from old artillery units. It consisted of 2 battalions, each battalion had 4 companies of gunners and 1 of bombardiers. It fielded 456 3-pdr guns and light mortars.
The regiment supplied specialised personnel to each cavalry and infantry regiment to man their regimental pieces. For this purpose, it was subdivided in:
- 36 groups of 38 men attached to infantry regiments
- 15 group of 18 men attached to cavalry regiments.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 1760 to 1763: colonel Tyutchev
Service during the War
On August 30 1757, the Russian regimental artillery played an important role during the battle of Gross-Jägersdorf, repulsing several Prussian attacks.
On August 25 1758, at the battle of Zorndorf the Russian regimental artillery distinguished itself once more but lost many pieces. These losses forced Shuvalov to reorganise the Russian artillery.
To do: campaigns of 1760 to 1762
All Russian regular artillery wore the same uniforms. Looking more attentively to Zveguintzov's work and some period paintings, it seems more and more evident that the uniforms of the regular artillery were orange rather than red. However, we have not yet updated the accompanying uniform plate accordingly.
|Coat||red (more probably orange) lined black with 9 copper buttons on the right side on the chest and 2 copper buttons (one on each side) in the small of the back|
in February 1759 a shorter coat was issued
|Waistcoat||long sleeved red (more probably orange; white at the end of the war) waistcoat lined black with 9 copper buttons, and with 2 en patte d'oie pockets each with 3 copper buttons|
|Breeches||red (more probably orange)|
|Gaiters||black leather with 10 large copper buttons (white Manschetten)|
During winter, artillery wore knee-length red cape.
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet, a sabre and a linstock. They also carried priming flasks and slowmatch holders on their belts.
NCOs wore the same uniform as the troopers but were distinguished by their gold laces on their tricorne, collar, and cuffs.
Most officers wore gold laced tricorne but some officers wore a mitre.
Officer’s coat was similar to other rank’s but with the following differences:
- a gold laced tricorne with gold/black pompoms or, for bombardier officers a gold plated mitre
- gilded buttons
- gold edged collar and lateral pockets
- yellow gloves.
- from 1759
- gold edged lapels
- gold edged white waistcoat
- no turnbacks
Officers also carried a sword suspended to a red leather belt.
Staff officers wore a black and gold sash.
Drummers wore the same uniform as the troopers with swallow nests on shoulders and braids on cuffs, pockets and collar.
Drums were made in copper, the coat of arms of Russia engraved in the front, bordered in red and black, red and white cords.
N.B.: During summer campaigns, the red (more probably orange) coat was not worn, being left with the baggage.
Regimental Colour: white damask field heavily ornamented; a brown double-headed eagle surmounted by a golden scroll carrying the motto “Tuetur et Terret”; beneath the eagle, a bronze cannon with red carriage, a powder barrel and 2 sponges on a green ground
Company colour (incomplete description): 66cm square colour; raspberry red corner flames; centre device surrounded by green palm leaves
Funcken, L. and F., Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Großer Generalstab, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher). Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen. Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. vol. IV Gross-Jägerndorf und Breslau, Berlin 1902, Anlagen 1, Das Kaiserlich Russische Heer, p. 9-13
Konstam, Angus; William Younghusband; The Russian Army of the Seven Years War
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989.
Viskovatov, A. V., Historical Description of the Clothing and Arms of the Russian Army, vol. 3, Petersburg: 1900
Zveguintzov, Vladimir, L'armée russe, Paris, 1967
Tomasz Karpiński from Gniezno/Poznań for the initial version of this article