Origin and History
The regiment was raised on February 13 1702 in Dublin by Thomas Meredith
During the War of the Spanish Succession, in May 1703, the regiment sailed for the Netherlands where it garrisoned Breda. In 1704, it was part of Marlborough's army for the campaign of the Danube. On July 2, the regiment took part to the storming of the Schellenberg. On August 13, it fought at the battle of Blenheim. In 1706, on May 23, the regiment was at the battle of Ramillies. In 1708, it took part to the siege of Lille and to the capture of Bruges and Ghent. On September 11 1709, the regiment took part to the battle of Malplaquet. The regiment was then transferred to North America to assist the New England colonies in their struggle against the French. In August 1711, the regiment sailed up the Saint-Laurent river aboard a British fleet, loosing more then 250 men when one of the ships sank during a storm. In 1715, the regiment was back to Europe where it served in Scotland during the First Jacobite Rebellion.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, in June 1742, the regiment sailed for the Netherlands. On June 27 1743, it took part to the battle of Dettingen. In 1745, the regiment was transferred to Scotland to contain the Second Jacobite Uprising. On January 17 1746, it was present at the defeat of Falkirk. A few months later, on April 16, it fought at the victorious battle of Culloden. It was stationed in Scotland until 1747 when it returned to the Lower Countries. On July 2 1747, it was at the battle of Lauffeld.
In 1749, after the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment returned to Great Britain and was almost immediately sent to Minorca to assume garrison duty.
On July 1 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British infantry, the regiment was designated as the "37th Regiment of Foot".
In 1754, the regiment left Minorca and returned to Great Britain.
As per a resolution of September 20 1756, a second battalion was exceptionally added to the regiment. However, this second battalion was detached from its parent regiment in April 1758 to form the 75th Regiment of Foot.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 29 November 1752 to 9 May 1768: Lieutenant-General Hon. James Stuart
Service during the War
In the summer of 1758, the regiment was among the first British contingent (6,000 men) sent to reinforce the Allied army of Ferdinand of Brunswick in Germany. The contingent embarked at Gravesend on July 19, disembarked at Emden on August 3 and arrived at Coesfeld on August 17, after marching through a very heavy rain.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of the duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. The grenadiers of the regiment were attached to Maxwell Grenadier Battalion. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in the first line of the 3rd column from the right under major-general Waldegrave. Misinterpreting orders, Waldegrave advanced with extraordinary bravery straight upon the cavalry deployed on the left of the French centre. The first line of French cavalry (11 sqns) charged Waldegrave first line but was thrown back. The second line of French cavalry was equally repulsed though with more difficulty. Now the French reserve, consisting of the Gendarmerie de France and the Carabiniers, attempted a third attack upon the 9 brave battalions. It charged and broke through the first line of Allied infantry. However, the second line received them with a deadly fire and forced them to retire. The astonishing attack of the British infantry had virtually gained the day. In this battlem the regiment lost 3 officers, 1 sergeant and 69 men killed and 12 officers, 4 sergeants, 4 drummers and 180 men wounded. More than half its strength...
On July 16 1761, the regiment was with Granby's corps in Germany and, on July 16, took part in the battle of Vellinghausen.
To do: more detail on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Coat||brick red lined yellow and laced white (white braid with 3 thin yellow/white/yellow stripes in the middle and one blue zigzag on one side and one red zigzag on the other) with 3 white buttonholes under the lapels (same lace as above)
|Waistcoat||brick red laced white (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||white with black buttons|
brown, grey or black during campaigns (black after 1759)
Troopers were armed with with a "Brown Bess" muskets, a bayonet and a sword. They also carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers of the regiment wore the same uniforms as the private soldiers but with the following differences
- silver gorget around the neck
- an aiguilette on the right shoulder
- silver lace instead of normal lace
- a crimson sash
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command; however, officers of the grenadier company wore a more decorated mitre cap.
Officers generally carried a spontoon, however, in battle some carried muskets instead.
The coat of the NCO was made of the same woollen fabric as the trooper's one.
Sergeants carried halberds and had a crimson sash with a narrow yellow central line, worn round the waist.
Corporals had a knot of white tape on the right shoulder.
Drummers wore a mitre cap similar to the grenadier mitre cap but with a lower crown. The front was decorated with a trophy of drums and banners.
According to the Royal Clothing Warrant of 1751:
- The drummers of the regiment were clothed in red, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with yellow, and laced in such manner as the colonel shall think fit for distinction sake, the lace, however, was of the colours of that on the soldiers' coats.
- The front or forepart of the drums were painted yellow, with the king's cypher and crown, and the number “XXXVII” under it. The rims were red.
King's Colour: Union with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "XXXVII" in gold Roman numerals.
Regimental Colour: yellow field with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "XXXVII" in gold Roman numerals. The Union in the upper left corner.
N.B.: since this regiment exceptionally counted 2 battalions, the colours of the 2nd Battalion were distinguished by a flaming ray superposed to the upper left branch of the saltire.
Fortescue, J. W.: A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II: The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Harris, W. J.: The Royal Hampshire Regiment (The Tigers)], in This England (broken link)
Knowles, L.: Minden and the Seven Year's War, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton & Co. Ltd, London, 1914
Lawson, Cecil C. P.: A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II
Mills, T. F.: Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.