Origin and History
The regiment was raised on December 25 1743 from the 8 independent companies garrisoning Jamaica. It was placed under direct command of Governor Edward Trelawney who was appointed colonel. Accordingly, the regiment was called the “Edward Trelawney's Regiment of Foot”. It ranked 63rd.
In 1748, the regiment was renumbered “49th Foot”.
On July 1 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British infantry, the regiment was designated as the “49th Regiment of Foot”.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- in 17??: Colonel George Walsh
- in 17??: Colonel John Stanwix
Service during the War
In 1757, while serving in Jamaica, the regiment saw its effective strength nearly doubled.
|Coat||brick red lined full green and laced white (white braid with a yellow stripe and green scroll pattern) with 3 pewter buttons and 3 white buttonholes (same lace as above) under the lapel; a red swallow nest laced white (same lace as above) on each shoulder)
|Waistcoat||brick red edged white (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||white with black buttons|
brown, grey or black during campaigns (black after 1759)
Troopers were armed with a “Brown Bess” muskets, a bayonet and a sword.
Officers of the regiment wore the same coat as the private soldiers but with the following differences:
- silver gorget around the neck
- a silver aiguilette on the right shoulder
- silver lace instead of the normal lace
- a crimson sash
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command; however, officers of the grenadier company wore a more decorated mitre cap.
Officers generally carried a spontoon; however, in battle some carried a musket instead.
The drummers of the regiment were clothed in full green, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with red, and laced in such manner as the colonel shall think fit for distinction sake, the lace, however, was of the colours of that on the soldiers' coats.
The front or fore part of the drums was painted full green, with the king's cypher and crown, and the number “XLIX” under it. The rims were red.
King's Colour: Union with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "XLIX" in gold Roman numerals.
Regimental Colour: full green field; centre device consisting of a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "XLIX" in gold Roman numerals. The Union in the upper left corner.
Aylor, Ron, British Regimental Drums and Colours
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II, The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately does not seem to be online any more)
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989