9/10 Möllendorff Grenadiers
Origin and History
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, Frederick II converged the grenadier companies of his infantry into elite battalions. Thus the grenadiers from von Quadt (2 coys) and von Knobloch (2 coys) infantry regiments were converged into the Grenadier Battalion 9/10 counting four companies.
In the Summer of 1757, after the battle of Kolin, this grenadier battalion was temporarily converged with Grenadier Battalion 47/G-VII and with the Standing Grenadier Battalion G-NG/G-III/G-IV.
Once again after the Torgau in November 1760, this grenadier battalion was temporarily converged with Grenadier Battalion 29/31.
During the Seven Years' War, the battalion was commanded by:
- since 1756: major H. F. von Möllendorff (killed in action at the battle of Kolin on June 18 1757)
- June 1757: major H. E. von Bähr
Service during the War
On August 26 1756, when the Prussian army proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the battalion was part of Ferdinand of Brunswick's column which had concentrated at Halle and advanced unopposed through Leipzig, Chemnitz, Freyberg and Dippoldiswalde, to the village of Cotta (reached on September 9) south of the Elbe near Pirna. While the main Prussian army moved forward to engage the Austrian army at Lobositz (October 1), the battalion remained in the Pirna country to maintain the blockade of the Saxon army which surrendered on October 17.
In April 1757, the battalion took part in the invasion of Bohemia. On April 21, it fought at the combat of Reichenberg where it was deployed on the left wing of the first line of duke of Brunswick-Bevern's force. On May 6, the battalion took part to the battle of Prague where it was deployed on the extreme left of the first line of the infantry centre in Winterfeldt's brigade. On June 18, the battalion fought again at the battle of Kolin. It was initially deployed in the rearguard (extreme right) but was soon sent to reinforce the van at the extreme left under Hülsen. After this battle, due to heavy losses, the battalion was temporarily converged with Grenadier Battalion 47/G-VII and with the Standing Grenadier Battalion G-NG/G-III/G-IV.
On October 14 1758, the battalion fought in the battle of Hochkirch where it formed part of Retzow's Corps near Weissenberg. The battalion occupied the village of Krischau.
To do: campaigns from 1759 to 1762
|von Quadt: mitre with brass front plate, red headband with yellow braid with a red central stripe and decorated with brass ornaments, red backing laced with an identical braid, red within orange pompon||von Knobloch: mitre with white metal frontplate, yellow headband with white piping and decorated with silver grenades, yellow back with white piping, yellow pompon
Original (Deutsches Historisches Museum, Berlin)
In regiments with white metal, the front plates were to be coloured with a water-based silver paste which needed to be re-applied regularly lest the cap plates revert to their original brass colour. Therefore, during campaign, particularly in bad weather, it is possible that the silvering could have worn off and needed to be silvered again.
The converged grenadier battalions did not carry any colour.
Fiedler, Siegfried; Grenadiermuetzen der Armee Friedrichs des Grossen, Schild Verlag GmbH, Munich, 1981
Riehn, R.; Linear Tactics Part III - Grenadier Battalions 1756-1763, The Courier Volume 2 No. 6, May-June 1981
Schirmer, Friedrich; Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt: 1989, pp. 30-32
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.