Adeliges Kadettenkorps

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Saxon Army >> Adeliges Kadettenkorps

Origin and History

In 1687, under the rule of Elector Johann Georg III, an order signed by von Bose, coming from the General Headquarters in Dresden, provided 6,000 Rixthalers from the Kriegkasse, for the education of 60 young nobles for a period of one year. The officer in charge of the first company of cadets was the Colonel Klengel.

In 1691, under the rule of Elector Johann Georg IV, von Flemming was General Field Marshal (GFM). He passed into the service of the Elector of Brandenburg, then King Friedrich I. For the high sum of 1,800 Rixthalers per months. GFM Hans Adam von Schoening succeeded him. Lieutenant-general von Schoening, the brother of GFM Adam von Schoening reorganized the Saxon Army.

In 1692, a class of Cadets was officially established for the first time. Its initial organization comprised a staff of 5 officers (Prima plana) and a class of 30 noble cadets.

In 1693 and 1694, a detachment of cadets accompanied the Saxon Army during its campaigns on the Rhine.

In 1699, the registers of the War Ministry indicated the existence of companies regrouping 124 noble cadets.

In 1725, the Militaer Akademie was established, by order of the Generalfeldmarschall, Craf von Wackerbarth, and divided into two distinct companies: the Ritter-Akademie and the Militaer-Akademie. In the summer of the same year, the whole Corps camped nearby Pillnitz.

In 1730, the Institution was renamed “Corps”. From the Kompanie zu Pferd (mounted company) originated the Grand Mousquetiers (in existence from 1730 till 1735). The same year, the Corps camped in Zeithain and paraded in front of the King of Prussia.

At the time of the Seven Years' War, the unit had the following Chefs:

  • from 1748: Churprinz Friedrich Christian
  • from 1763: the Elector of Saxony

Throughout its history, the unit had the following captains:

  • from 1691: GFM von Schoning (died in 1696 at the age of 55)
  • from 1696: Lieutenant-general von Vircholz (promoted General of Infantry and Governor of Dresden in 1697)
  • from 1701: Generalfeldzeugmeister Count von Zinzendorf (also Governor of Dresden, resigned as GFM)
  • from 1712: General of Cavalry Janus Chevalier von Eberstadt (also Governor of Dresden, died as General von der Cavallerie)
  • from 1718: General of Infantry Count Wackerbarth (also Governor of Dresden, died as GFM)
  • from 1738: Major-general von Minckwitz
  • from 1746: Colonel von Sternstein (then commander of a Kreisregiment)
  • from 1748 to 1756: Colonel von Pahlen (died as Major-general in 1760)
  • from 1763: the new Corps was under command of Major-General von Benningsen (later General Inspecteur, Lieutenant-general, resigned and was Proprietor of a regiment of the line)

Throughout its history, the unit had the following Lieutenants-captains:

  • from 1692: von Bose, then General of the Infantry and Governor of Wittemberg
  • from 1694: von Gersdorf
  • from 1695: Major von Schoning
  • from 1697: Captain von Wirkholz
  • from 1700: Captain von Seydlitz
  • from 1701: Captain von Seynitz
  • from 1712: Colonel von Pflugg
  • from 1719: Colonel Baron Bothmar.
  • from 1725: Colonel Baron Rochau
  • from 1733: Colonel von Arnim
  • from 1734: Colonel von Minckwitz
  • from 1738: Lieutenant-colonel von Sternstein
  • from 1740: Lieutenant-colonel von Pahlen
  • from 1744: Major von Sternstein
  • from 1752 to 1756: Lieutenant-colonel von Benningsen.
  • from 1763: the new unit was commanded by the Lieutenant-colonel von Plotz (died as Colonel)

A new Corps was raised in 1763.

Service during the War

In 1756, during the Prussian invasion of Saxony, all Cadets were captured by the Prussian Army on the heights around Pirna and forced to surrender like the rest of the Saxon Army. Even if the King of Saxony asked personally to Frederick II for himself the permission to be accompanied in his exile in Poland by the young nobles he was humiliated once more. Only 8 cadets of Polish origin were left free to reach their family.

A new Corps was raised in 1763.

Uniform

In 1695, the first uniforms of the Saxon Army were adopted. An infantry regiment of 12 coys had 12 tailors. Also the Cadets were dressed in a uniformly, receiving a red justaucorps.

In 1730, the Corps had a red uniform faced white with silver buttons and laces.

The colours remained constant and only the cut of the habit was renewed. following the fashion.

The uniform 1753 was renewed in 1756.

The manuscript of the Deutsches Historisches Museum (DHM) in Berlin shows two uniforms: a service dress and a Gala uniform.

Gala Dress

Gala Dress of the Adeliges Kadettenkorps in 1756 - Copyright: Franco Saudelli and Dr Marco Pagan
Uniform Details in 1756 as per the manuscript of the DHM in Berlin
Headgear black tricorne laced white with white plumetis
Neckstock white
Coat scarlet red lined white; 2 white metal buttons and 2 silver laced button holes under the right lapel and 2 silver laced buttonholes under the left lapel; 1 white metal button on each side in the small of the back
Collar scarlet red edged silver
Shoulder Straps silver (right shoulder only)
Lapels white edged silver, with 8 white metal buttons and 8 silver laced buttonholes arranged 2-2-2-2 on each lapel
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 white metal buttons
Cuffs white edged silver, each with 3 white metal buttons and 3 silver laced buttonholes
Turnbacks white fastened with a white metal button
Waistcoat white edged in silver with horizontal pockets and white metal buttons and silver laced buttonholes
Breeches white
Gaiters white for gala
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt none
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box none
Bayonet Scabbard none
Scabbard black scabbard with white metal ornaments, carrying a light sword
Footgear black shoes


Service Dress

Service Dress of the Adeliges Kadettenkorps in 1756 - Copyright: Franco Saudelli and Dr Marco Pagan
Uniform Details in 1756 as per the manuscript of the DHM in Berlin
Headgear black tricorne laced white with a white cockade
Neckstock white
Coat scarlet red; 6 buttons on each side (arranged 1-2-3)
Collar scarlet red
Shoulder Straps none
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets
Cuffs scarlet red, each with 3 buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat scarlet red with two rows of buttons; horizontal pockets, each with 3 buttons
Breeches scarlet red
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt none
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box none
Bayonet Scabbard none
Scabbard black scabbard with brass ornaments, carrying a light sword
Footgear black shoes


Officers

no information available yet

Musicians

no information available yet

Colours

Colour of the Saxon Adeliges Kadettenkorps from 1747 to 1865 - Source: Haus Wettin in Wikipedia

References

Acknowledgments

Dr Marco Pagan for the initial version of this article and Franco Saudelli for the uniform plates.