Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1704 from Alt-Daun Infantry and from 5 companies of Hasslingen Infantry for General Johann Adam Count von Wendt.
Upon request of Great Britain, Emperor Joseph I accepted to send two infantry regiments to Spain (Guido Starhemberg Infantry and Carl Joseph Lothringen Infantry). In exchange, the British promised to pay subsidy for the creation of two new Imperial regiments.
In the Spring of 1708, Ferdinand Albert II Prince von zu Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel in Bevern asked to the Hofkriegsrat (the court war council of the Habsburg Monarchy) for the authorisation to raise one of these two new infantry regiments. The Emperor informed Prince Eugène de Savoie of his intention to allow the Prince von Bevern to become proprietor of a regiment and recommended to use three to four companies from more senior regiments to form the kernel of the new unit. Unfortunately, there were not enough soldiers in the army at that time, and Prince Eugène refused to part with experienced troops. However, negotiations continued to create the new regiment.
Finally, on February 13 1709, the Prince von Bevern received a decree for the creation of a regiment which should count 12 fusilier companies and one grenadier company, for a total of 1,660 men. The prince planned to enlist his new regiment in Bavaria. However, the Habsburg Monarchy was far from being popular in Bavaria at that time and enlistment proceeded very slowly. The Hofkriegsrat finally accepted that, by the end of June, only one battalion of 5 company and the grenadiers would be reviewed. The Prince of Bevern was not even able to fulfil this more modest requirement and started negotiations with GFWM de Wendt, who was at that time proprietor of a regiment garrisoning in Hungary. De Wendt accepted to transfer 12 fusilier companies and one grenadier company to the regiment of the Prince von Bevern at the condition that the latter would reimburse him enlistment costs. On March 9, Emperor Joseph I accepted this agreement and the Prince of Bevern inspected his new soldiers at Pressburg (present-day Bratislava/SK). Johann Count Trautson von Falkenstein, formerly general-adjutant and captain of a company in Baden Infantry was appointed as lieutenant-colonel and effective commander of Bevern's regiment while Heinrich Baron Calisius de Calisch, formerly from Salm Infantry was appointed major.
During the War of the Spanish Succession, at the beginning of 1709, the regiment was initially stationed in Hungary to quench the Rákóczi Uprising. In 1710, it took part in the capture of Leutschau (present-day Levoča/SK) and in the unsuccessful siege of Eperies (present-day Prešov/SK); in 1711, in the sieges of Kaschau (present-day Košice/SK), Munkács and Unghvár. In accordance to the new regulation, the regiment now counted 15 fusilier and two grenadier companies. From November 1 1711 to April 1712 the regiment garrisoned various places in Hungary. On May 10 1713, one battalion (695 men including 94 grenadiers) of the regiment set off from Hungary and marched to the Rhine. It then took part in the defence of Freiburg until it surrendered on November 17.
After the war, in mid April 1714, the battalion previously serving on the Rhine marched from the Black Forest to Hungary, embarking aboard boats at Donauwörth to sail on the Danube. It then garrisoned various places in Hungary until 1716.
From 1716 to 1718, the regiment participated in the campaigns against the Turks.
In 1732, during the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment fought in Corsica before returning to Hungary. In 1734 and 17135, it served on the Rhine.
In 1738 and 1739, the regiment served in Hungary.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment took part in several campaigns.
As per the Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759 and Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760, the regiment counted 4 battalions (2 grenadier coys and 16 fusilier coys) for a total of 2,300 men. This was the administrative organisation of the regiment. However, the tactical organisation differed: 2 field fusilier battalions, each of 6 companies; 2 grenadier companies (usually converged with grenadiers from other battalions into an ad hoc unit); and 1 garrison battalion of 4 companies (see Austrian Line Infantry Organisation for more details).
By January 1756, the regiment, known as “Alt-Wolfenbüttel” since 1735, garrisoned the following places:
- Staff, 2 fusilier coys and 2 grenadier coys at Brüx (present-day Most/CZ)
- 3 fusilier coys at Leitmeritz (present-day Litoměřice/CZ)
- 3 fusilier coys at Komotau (present-day Chomutov/CZ)
- 2 fusilier coys at Aussig (present-day Ústí nad Labem/CZ)
- 2 fusilier coys at Raudnitz (present-day Roudnice nad Labem/CZ)
- 4 fusilier coys at Budin (present-day Budyně/CZ), Bilin (present-day Bílina/CZ), Libochowitz (present-day Libochovice/CZ) and Jörgau (probably present-day Jírov/CZ)
In accordance with the new regulation, the regiment was organised in 3 battalions, two of them were designated as “field battalions” while the third was called “garrison battalion”. The regiment had at that time 2 grenadier coys of 100 men each, 2 field battalions each of 6 fusilier coys (each of 136 men) and 1 garrison battalion of 4 fusilier coys (each of 135 men) for a total of 2,410 men.
|Jakob Baptist Marchese Botta d´Adorno|
|Jakob Baptist Marchese Botta (*1729 Cremona, + January 17 1803 Brünn, present day Brno/CZ) was the son of Anton Otto Marchese Botta d´Adorno, proprietor of Botta Infantry. On December 4 1758, Jakob Baptist was admitted in the Maria Theresien Order for his valour in the Battle of Breslau and was appointed, in 1786, military governor of Moravia and of the Moravian part of Silesia.|
During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:
- since September 1 1735: Duke Carl von Branschweig-Wolfenbüttel in Bevern (son and successor of Duke Ferdinand Albrecht)
- from 1758: vacant (from 1759 Colonel Jakob Baptist Marchese Botta d'Adorno commanded the regiment “jus gladii”)
- from 1760 to 1767: Ernst Gideon Baron von Loudon
During the Seven Years' War, its colonel-commander was:
- from 1751: Friedrich Karl Baron von Müffling (nicknamed “Weiß”, killed in action at the Battle of Leuthen)
- from December 1757: Horatius von Schröder as interim commander
- from 1758: Jakob Baptist Marchese Botta d´Adorno (see inset)
- from 1761 until 1772: Olivier Patricius Count Wallis
In 1763, after the signature of the Treaty of Hubertusburg, the staff of the regiment, its grenadiers and two companies assumed garrison duties in Kuttenberg (present-day Kutná Hora/CZ), the other companies garrisoned Deutsch Brod (present-day Havlíčkův Brod/CZ), Polna (present-day Polná/CZ), Ledec (present-day Ledeč/CZ), Časlau (present-day Čáslav/CZ) and the surrounding villages. On August 1, the third battalion, previously stationed in Transylvania, set off from Hermannstadt (present-day Sibiu/RO) and joined the rest of the regiment at the beginning of 1764. After the return of all prisoners, the regiment counted 2,072 men.
Regimental numbers were introduced only in 1769 when this regiment was designated as "I.R. 29".
Service during the War
|Did you know that...|
|Since the beginning of the war, the proprietor of the regiment, Karl Duke Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel in Bevern, was in a very peculiar position: he had married Frederick's sister while his own sister, Elisabeth Christine, was the wife of Frederick II. Already in 1756, Duke Karl had declared that he would not fight against Frederick. Furthermore, to preserve the principality of Braunshweig-Wolfenbüttel, the duke had sent the army of his duchy to join the “Army of Observation” placed under the command of the Duke of Cumberland. This had caused the breaking off of his diplomatic relation with Maria Theresa.
In 1758, Duke Karl lost the income associated with his Austrian regiment. In 1759, the Marchese Botta d'Adorno received the command of the regiment by “jus gladii”.
In February 1760, FZM Gideon von Loudon was finally appointed proprietor of the regiment which was from this moment called “Blau-Loudon” (in opposition to “Grün-Loudon”, the name designating the two grenadier battalions previously raised in 1758).
Acknowledgement: Harald Skala for this interesting anecdote
In 1756, at the outbreak of the Seven Years' War, the regiment was stationed in Bohemia. In July, its garrison battalion was sent to Eger (present-day Cheb/CZ) and its two field battalions to the camp at Chlumec n. Cidlinou. On 14 September, during the Prussian invasion of Saxony, these two battalions were attached to the army who marched to Budin under the command of FM Browne. On October 1, they took part in the battle of Lobositz where they was deployed in the first line of the centre under General C. Kollowrat in the brigade of General Perony posted on the hills behind the Modelbach and were not involved in combat. After the battle, at the end of October, they returned to their old garrison places around Brüx. In December, Lieutenant-Colonel Prince von Coburg was promoted to second colonel.
At the end of February 1757, the two field battalions joined the garrison battalion at Eger. However, within a few weeks, they were directed to the main army concentrating at Budin. On May 1, the two filed battalions marched to Prague where one battalion under Major von Zedlitz and one grenadier company formed part of the garrison of the city while the other battalion remained with the main army. On April 21 1757, one battalion of the regiment was probably part of Major-General von Würben's Brigade on the left wing of Count von Königsegg's force at the combat of Reichenberg. On May 6, one battalion took part in the battle of Prague where it was deployed in Count Würben's brigade, in the first line of the left wing of infantry under Baron Kheul. This first line was posted to the South of the road leading from Prague to Hrdlořezy (present-day part of Prague). At the end of the battle, this battalion, along with Baden-Durlach Infantry covered the retreat of the defeated army. In this battle, the grenadiers of the regiment lost 20 men killed (including Captain Karl Baron Ledebur) and 52 men wounded or missing; for its part, the battalion lost 2 men killed and 23 wounded or missing. Part of the army took refuge within the walls of Prague. Overall, the regiment had 1,470 men in the city. During the Siege of Prague, the regiment took part in sorties. In June, after the great victory of Filed Marshal Daun at the Battle of Kolin, the Austrian main army followed the retreating Prussians. On July 13, a detachment of 250 men of the regiment under Colonel baron Müffling joined a corps forming at Hühnerwasser (present-day Kuřívody/CZ) under the command of FML Maquire (14 grenadier coys, 2 bns of Haller Infantry and 1,500 men of various regiments). On July 14, this corps undertook the capture of Gabel (present-day Jablonné v Podještědí/CZ). In this action, Baron Müffling distinguished himself and was recommended for the Maria Theresien Order. From October 25, 250 men of the regiment led by Captain Schäffer, Lieutenant von Knorr and Lieutenant Thomas von Müffling took part in the Siege of Schweidnitz. On November 19, after the capitulation of this fortress, these troops returned to Lissa. The two field battalions were reunited again. On November 22, they took part in the Battle of Breslau (present-day Wroclaw/PL) where they were deployed in Browne's Brigade, in the first line of the infantry centre under Baron Kheul. Together with Joseph Esterházy Infantry, they attacked a Prussian redoubt at Schmiedefeld. Major Olivier Patricius Count Wallis with the “Leibbattalion” and grenadier Captain Chevalier Caldwell distinguished during this assault. In this battle, the regiment lost 11 men killed and 85 men wounded or missing. On December 5 at the Battle of Leuthen (present-day Lutynia/PL), the two filed battalions were deployed in Angern's Brigade in the first line of the infantry left wing under Colloredo. At the beginning of the battle, the regiment was posted on the Frobelwitz Hills and saw no action. In the afternoon, it was sent forward and came under heavy fire. In this disastrous battle, the regiment lost Colonel Müffling and 23 men killed; Second Colonel Prince von Coburg, Major Fröhlich, Captain Count Hohenlohe, Captain Franz Knorr, Captain Baron Engelhardt and 300 men wounded; and 214 men captured. The defeated army rallied in the camp near Breslau, Second Colonel Prince von Coburg with one battalion garrisoned the Fortress of Breslau. On December 6, the other battalion and the grenadiers followed the main army who retreated to Schweidnitz. Major Count Wallis with 4 officers and 150 men were left behind as part of the garrison of this fortress. The remnants of the two field battalions were momentarily combined with the very weak Arberg Infantry to form a single battalion who took its winter-quarters at Smiřitz (present-day Smiřice/CZ) and Černožitz (present-day Černošice/CZ). At that time, there were no senior commanding officers with the regiment (Colonel Müffling having been killed, Prince Coburg and Major Wallis being at Schweidnitz), therefore Lieutenant-Colonel Schröder from the garrison battalion posted at Eger assumed interim command. After the capitulation of Breslau on December 20, 5 officers and the entire battalion (248 men) became prisoners of war. At Smiřitz Lieutenant-Colonel Schröder found only 300 men. Therefore the garrison battalion marched to Smiřitz to reinforce them. During winter, a few missing soldiers reached the camp and the regiment could finally muster 15 officers and 594 men.
By March 1758, 461 recruits arrived from Bohemia and some others were transferred from the garrison of Eger. Two new coys were created. At the end of March, the regiment was attached to the corps of GFWM Franz Maximilian Baron Jahnus von Eberstädt. Meanwhile, 150 men under Major Wallis took part in the defence of Schweidnitz. On April 18, when the fortress surrendered, Wallis was imprisoned (he would be exchanged in June). During the following month, the regiment distinguished itself with Jahnus' Corps, notably at Andersdorf (present-day Ondřejov/CZ) on May 18, Heidenplitsch (present-day Bílčice/CZ) on May 25 and Bärn (present-day Moravský Beroun/CZ) on June 7. Finally, on June 26, Jahnus effected a junction with Loudon's Corps at Neuschloß (present-day Nové Zámky, near Šternberk/CZ). On June 30, the regiment took part in the Combat of Domstadl, it grenadiers distinguishing themselves again under the lead of Captain Caldwell who was wounded. On July 1, the regiment arrived at Langendorf (present-day Dlouhá Ves/CZ) where it staid a few day to recover. When Frederick II raised the Siege of Olmütz, Loudon's Corps followed the retreating Prussian army up to Königgrätz (present-day Hradec Králové/CZ). In mid-July, the regiment and Kolowrat Infantry were to GFWM Siskovics's Corps which remained at Hohenbruck (present-day Bojiště near Trutnov/CZ) till the end of July. On August 1, this corps marched towards Görlitz. On August 21, it effected a junction with the main army which was following up the Prussian army retiring through Bohemia after the failure of the invasion of Moravia. The regiment was then attached to FZM Prince Durlach's Corps operating in Lusatia. On 14 October, during the Battle of Hochkirch, the regiment was part of Durlach's Corps which was posted on the Stromberg hill on the right wing of Daun's Army. It was not involved in combat. On October 15, the regiment was part of FML Guasco's detachment (Alt-Wolfenbüttel Infantry, Mercy-Argenteau Infantry and Pallavicini Infantry) who was sent to reinforce FZM Harsch's Army besieging the fortress of Neisse (present-day Nysa/PL). On November 1, Guasco's detachment arrived at Neisse. However, Frederick II was on the march to relieve Neisse and \, on November 4, Harsch was forced to abandon the siege and to retire to Königgrätz. During winter, the regiment was part of the troops forming a cordon along the border between Saxony and Bohemia. On December 26, the garrison battalion of the regiment posted at Eger was ordered to march to Temesvár to replace Clerici Infantry.
For the incoming campaign, Lieutenant-Colonel Jakob Baptist Marchese Botta d´Adorno from Botta Infantry was promoted to colonel and commander of the regiment1 while Lieutenant-Colonel Schröder was promoted to second colonel and Major Count Wallis to lieutenant-colonel. Furthermore, Captain Thume, Chevalier Caldwell was promoted to major (on January 9 1759, he received the Knight Cross of the Maria Theresien Order).
In April 1759, the garrison battalion of the regiment finally arrived in Temesvár. By mid August, the field battalions were part of Buccow's Corps posted in Lusatia. On September 2, it took part in the combat of Sorau.On December 3 and 4, the regiment formed part of Beck's corps who attacked an isolated Prussian force and captured part of it at the combat of Meissen. The regiment took its winter-quarters at Schmiedeberg, Ober-Frauendorf and Falkenhayn.
In 1760, the regiment was part of Loudon's Army where it was placed in the first line. Its grenadiers were converged in a grenadier battalion under the command of Major Caldwell. On June 23 1760, the two field battalions of the regiment took part in the Battle of Landeshut where they proved their courage by storming the Buchberg and the Kirchberg. Colonel Marchese Botta, Lieutenant-Colonel Count Wallis, Grenadier Major Caldwell, Major Friedrich Count Hohenlohe (he would receive the Maria Theresien Order on December 22 1761) and Grenadier Captain Count Lacy all distinguished themselves at this battle, where the regiment lost 79 men killed, 3 officers (including Lieutenant-Colonel Wallis and Major Count Hohenlohe) and 443 men wounded, and 49 men missing. On July 3, Colonel Botta d´Adorno was promoted to major-general. After his resounding victory at Landeshut, Loudon attacked Glatz (present-day Gliwice/PL) which surrendered on July 26. Without the support of the Russians, it was impossible to lay siege to Breslau, Loudon therefore retreated to Striegau. On August 15, the regiment took part in the Battle of Liegnitz (present-day Legnica/PL) where it was initially posted west of Bienowitz. Loudon was surprised by the Prussians and had to fight against the entire Prussian army unsupported by Daun. Around 5:00 a.m., Loudon retreated in good order. During the retreat, Major Caldwell distinguished himself when he assumed command of a cuirassier squadron and attacked and drove back Bernburg Infantry. In this battle, the regiment lost 1 officer and 25 men killed; 4 officers and 98 wounded; and 101 men missing. After the battle, the regiment encamped in various places between Striegau, Freiburg, Schweidnitz and Waldenburg. On August 25, Olivier Patricius Count Wallis became colonel and regiment commander while Horatius Baron Schröder was appointed second colonel; Count Hohenlohe, lieutenant-colonel and Chevalier Caldwell, second lieutenant-colonel. At the beginning of November, it took its winter-quarters at Bransdorf (present-day Branice/PL).
On October 1 1761, the regiment distinguished itself once more in the Storming of Schweidnitz. Colonel Wallis led five battalions against the “Galgenfort” while Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell led another column of five battalions against the “Gartenfort”. With the storming of this very strong fortress, Loudon achieved one of his greatest victory. For their conduct during this action, Count Wallis and Captain Count Lacy received the Maria Theresien Order. The regiment lost 20 men killed; 1 officer and 68 men wounded; and 5 men missing. At the beginning of December, the regiment took its winter-quarters at Landeshut, Ober Zieder and Nieder Zieder. Lieutenant Caldwell was promoted to colonel while Colonel Wallis was promised a promotion to general at the first occasion.
In 1762, the regiment was attached to the “Corps de bataille” operating in Silesia. On June 9, Second Colonel Caldwell went as volunteer with one captain and 180 men to take part in the defence of Schweidnitz. On August 7, Frederick II laid siege to Schweidnitz. On August 8, Colonel Caldwell, participating in a sortie, had his horse killed under him. In the night of August 13, Caldwell led another sortie at the head of 1,200 men. He was mortally wounded during an attack on a Prussian battery. He died in the night of August 19. On October 9, after the explosion of the powder magazine in the Jauerniker, the Fortress of Schweidnitz finally surrendered. During this siege, the detachment of the regiment lost, in addition to Colonel Caldwell, 5 men killed; and 1 officer and 26 men wounded. At the beginning of December, the regiment took its winter-quarters in Lewin and the surrounding villages.
Overall during the Seven Years' War, the regiment lost 550 men killed in battles, 1254 who died in hospitals, 815 taken prisoners, 771 who deserted and 664 gone missing or retired.
For the moment we have very few information on the uniform in 1756, at the outbreak of the war. Most of our references describe the uniform in 1762. However, Wrede, Muhsfeldt and Schirmer mention that, in 1756-57, the coat was white lined blue (therefore blue turnbacks), the distinctive colour was blue and the waistcoat and breeches were blue. Therefore, the uniform at the beginning of the war seems to have been quite different from the uniform of 1762.
|Neck stock||one red and one black (for parades the regimental commanders agreed before on the colour of the neck stocks)|
|Coat||white lined white with 3 yellow buttons under the right lapel and 1 yellow button in the small of the back on each side
|Waistcoat||white with 2 rows of small yellow buttons (3-3-3) and with horizontal pockets, each with 3 yellow buttons|
|Gaiters||one pair of black (for winter) and one pair of white gaiters (for summer and parade)|
Troopers were armed with a musket (Model 1745 for fusiliers, Model 1754 for grenadiers). Grenadiers carried a sabre while fusiliers carried only a bayonet.
The Bautzener Handschrift illustrates the following differences:
- dark blue tabs to fasten the turnbacks
Donath illustrates the following differences:
- black tricorne laced white with a red within dark blue pompom and red/dark blue tassels in the lateral cornes
- white buttons
- dark blue shoulder strap
- no tab on the turnbacks
Knötel illustrates the following differences:
- white scalloped tricorne without pompom or tassels
no information available yet
The officers wore the same uniform as the privates with the following exceptions:
- tricorne laced gold with a white and green cockade
- black neck stock
- a golden epaulette instead of a shoulder strap on the left shoulder
- no turnbacks
- yellow and black silk sash
Senior officers carried sticks identifying their rank:
- lieutenant: bamboo stick without knob
- captain: long rush stick with a bone knob
- major: long rush stick with a silver knob and a small silver chain
- lieutenant-colonel: long rush stick with a larger silver knob without chain
- colonel: long rush stick with a golden knob
As per a regulation of 1755, musicians were now distinguished from troopers only by dark blue swallow nests on the shoulders.
The drum had a brass barrel decorated with black flames at the bottom and with a black double headed Eagle on a yellow field. Rims were decorated with red and white diagonal stripes. The bandolier was white.
All German infantry regiments carried identical colours: a white Leibfahne (colonel) and yellow Regimentsfahne. The hand painted colours were made of silk and measured Size 178 cm x 127 cm. The 260 cm long flagpoles had golden finial and were decorated with black and yellow spirals of cloth.
The colonel colour was carried by the first battalion.
Colonel flag (Leibfahne):
- field: white
- border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
- obverse (right): the Immaculate Mother of God (which had been declared the patroness of the army by kaiser Ferdinand III) on a cloud, crushing a snake under her foot and surrounded by rays
- reverse (left): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
Regimental flags (Regimentsfahne):
- field: yellow
- border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
- obverse (right): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
- reverse (left): unarmed and crowned Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Hungaria and Bohemia on a shield and the initials M on the left wing and T on the right
In fact, the situation on the field was slightly more complex than this, since colours were usually replaced only when worn out. It is fairly possible that some regiment who had been issued colours of the 1743 pattern were still carrying them at the beginning of the Seven Years' War. For more details, see Austrian Line Infantry Colours.
This article contains texts from the following sources, which are now in the public domain:
- Gräffer, August: Geschichte der kaiserl. Königl. Regimenter, Corps, Bataillons und anderer Militär-Branchen seit ihrer Errichtung biz zu Ende des Feldzuges 1799, Vol. 1, Vienna, 1804, pp. 123-128
- Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, pp. 25-26
Dihm, Dr. Hermann; Oesterreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Klio
Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979
Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759
Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Hausmann, Friedrich, Die Feldzeichen der Truppen Maria Theresias, Schriften des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums, vol. 3, Vienna: 1967
Hödl, R. von: Geschichte des K. und K. Infanterieregiments Nr. 29 Gideon Ernst Freiherr von Loudon, Temesvár 1906
Knötel, Herbert d.J.; Brauer, Hans M.: Heer und Tradition / Heeres-Uniformbogen (so-called “Brauer-Bogen”), Berlin 1926-1962, Österreich-Ungarn – 1756-63
Muhsfeldt, Th.; Abzeichenfarben der K. und K. Regimenter zu Fuss im Jahre 1757 und früher, in Mitteilungen zur Geschichte des militärischen Tracht, No. 12, 1904
Pengel, R. D. and G.R. Hurt; Austro-Hungarian Infantry 1740-1762; On Military Matters; Birmingham, 1982
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Seidel, Paul; Nochmals österreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Clio
Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
Harald Skala and Michael Zahn for gathering most of the information about this regiment