Origin and History
The French frigate Panthère was built by Coulomb at Brest and launched in 1744.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, on March 26 1745, the frigate was captured by the British navy, renamed Amazon and incorporated into the British Royal navy. In the summer of 1747, she captured the French privateer Loup. On September 12 of the same year, she engaged the French Renommée (32) sailing for San Domingo but lost contact during the night.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from 1756 to July 1760: captain William Norton
- from July 1760: captain Basil Keith
The frigate was sold out of the navy in October 1763.
Service during the War
In 1756, the frigate was stationed in the Leeward Islands as part of commodore John Moore's squadron.
At the beginning of January 1759, the frigate was among the fleet assembled at Carlisle Bay in Barbados under commodore John Moore for the planned expedition against the Martinique and Guadeloupe islands. On January 13, the whole British force sailed for Martinique Island. On January 15, the fleet lay off the bay of Fort Royal (actual Fort de France). On January 18, after an unsuccessful attempt by the land troops to capture Fort Royal, the British fleet proceeded to Saint-Pierre, the second town in Martinique. On January 19, after failing to silence the batteries around Saint-Pierre, commodore Moore decided to redirect his efforts against the island of Guadeloupe. On January 22, the British fleet reached Basse-Terre. On January 23, the fleet bombarded the citadel and town of Basse-Terre which was almost entirely destroyed. On January 24, British troops landed and occupied the town. Until March 11, most of the fleet remained idle in front of Basse-Terre. Moore then transported most of the land forces to Fort Louis before falling back to Prince Rupert's Bay in the Island of Dominica, in order to cover Basse-Terre and the British Leeward Islands from the threat of the newly arrived French squadron. The island of Guadeloupe finally capitulated on May 1.
In 1760, the frigate cruised the Channel.
On January 31 1761 off Calais, the frigate along with the Solebay (24) engaged the French privateer Chevert (18) from Dunkerque. The privateer took refuge under the guns of a battery but was nonetheless attacked and forced to run aground and to strike.
On August 7 1761, the frigate sailed to join rear admiral Rodney in the Leeward Islands where she remained stationed for the rest of the war.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Guns||26 x 6 pdrs
|Length at gundeck||115 ft (35.05 m)|
|Width||31 ft (9.45 m)|
|Depth||14 ft 2 in (4.32)|
Deschênes, Ronald, Frégates du roy de 1682 à 1767
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.