Antiguo de Reding Infantry
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in the canton of Schwiz in 1742. In 1743, the regiment counted 2 battalions.
Contrarily to the Spanish infantry regiments, the Swiss regiments had no company of grenadiers. A corporal and 12 grenadiers being included into each company of the regiment. However, in case of need, it was possible to form an ad hoc company of grenadiers. For this purpose, a captain, a lieutenant and a sub-lieutenant of grenadiers were attached to each Swiss regiment.
When the Swiss infantry was reorganised in 1756, the regiment counted 2 battalions, of 4 companies each. This reorganisation was completed only in 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- 1742: Carlos Reding
Service during the War
No information available yet about the service of the regiment during the Seven Years' War
|Coat||dark blue with 6 white buttons on the right side below the lapel
|Waistcoat||yellow with white buttons|
Armaments consisted of a musket, a bayonet and a sword (brass hilt).
The colonel, lieutenant-colonel, sargentos mayores and officers carried a spontoon and an officer stick. They used to hang this stick at the second button of the coat. The type of handle of the officer stick was different for each rank:
- gold for the colonel
- silver for the lieutenant-colonel
- silver (but only one finger wide) for the Sargento Mayor and the captains
- ivory for assistants, lieutenants and for the chaplain
- wooden with a silver ring for sub-lieutenants
Sergeants carried a halberd instead of a spontoon. Furthermore, their officer stick had no handle.
no information available yet
According to the regulation of 1749, the coronela (colonel flag) of each Swiss regiment was white and carried the royal arms in its centre (the arms of Charles III probably surrounded by the necklace of the order of the Toison de Oro).
The batallonas (ordonnance flags) of the regiment were yellow with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by 5 flames (blue, white, red, white, blue).
Album de Taccoli, 1759
Clonard, Conde de, Álbum de la Infantería española, 1861
Ministerio de Defensa, El Ejército de Fernando VI, Madrid, 1993, pp. 134-143
Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article.