Astrakhanskiy Horse Grenadiers
Origin and History
During the reorganisation of the Russian army in 1756, this former dragoon regiment was converted into a horse grenadier regiment.
At full strength, the regiment counted 5 squadrons of 2 companies each.
When Peter III acceded the throne in January 1762, all horse grenadier regiments were converted into cuirassier regiments.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- no information available yet
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment was stationed at Orenburg and Kiev. In the autumn, it was assigned to the force guarding the western frontier.
The regiment did not take part to any campaign during the war.
During summer, Russian horse grenadiers did not wear coats. These were left in the baggage. For this reason, we present two different plates.
Troopers were armed with a short carbine, a bayonet, two pistols and a sabre (more precisely a straight blade Pallasch until December 29 1759 and then a curved blade sabre).
Corporals wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers.
Other NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- gold laced collar
- gold laced cuffs:
- 1 stripe for Unterfähnrich
- 2 stripes for armourers and quartermasters
- 3 stripes for sergeant
Officers wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- genadier mitre with gold decorations
- gilt buttons
- no turnbacks
- black and gold silken sash
- yellow saddlecloth and housings laced gold carrying the imperial cipher
Musicians wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- swallow nests at the shoulders
- tricorne (only for the kettle-drummer)
The kettle-drum and trumpets were made of copper. The banners were of the colour of the squadron standards. The banner of the kettle-drum was embroidered and fringed in gold.
Drums were made in copper, the regimental coat of arms engraved in the front, bordered in red and blue, blue and white cords.
Horse grenadiers still carried standards of the 1731 pattern, measuring 150 cm by 150 cm. The flagpole had a gilt finial.
Leib Standard: white field fringed in gold and silver; centre device: an Imperial Eagle bearing the regimental arms on a breastplate encircled by the necklace of the St. George’s Order and the cross of St. Andrew; and surmounted by a red and gold crown. In each corner: the crowned imperial cipher within a wreath all in gold.
Regimental Standard: red field fringed in gold; centre device: a red and gold crown surmounting a gold shield bearing the regimental arms.
The first squadron carried the white colonel (Leib) standard while the 4 other squadrons each carried one regimental standard.
Großer Generalstab, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher). Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen, Part 3: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. Vol. 4 Groß-Jägersdorf und Breslau, Berlin 1902
- chapter A: Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 1-46
- appendix: supplement 1, Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 3-18
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, published by the KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, Neuauflage 1989
Viskovatov, A. V., Historical Description of the Clothing and Arms of the Russian Army, vol. 3, Petersburg: 1900
Ziegler, Volker: Die Russische Kavallerie zur Zeit des 7-jährigen Krieges (1756-1763), in: Jahrbuch der Gesellschaft für hessische Militär- und Zivilgeschichte, vol. 4, 2007, pp. 62-80
Zveguintzov, L'Armee Russe, 1973