Origin and History
The regiment was created on August 13 1725 with companies transferred from the Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 1.
In 1760, a light squadron (100 horse) was added to the regiment for reconnaissance and patrol duties.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since September 15 1754: Christian Friedrich von Blanckensee
- from September 19 1757 to November 8 1778: Anton von Krockow
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment was part of the army of Silesia under field-marshal Schwerin. During this campaign, this army remained on the border between Silesia and Bohemia.
In the spring of 1757, the regiment was among the Prussian army who proceeded to the invasion of Bohemia. On May 6 1757, the regiment took part to the battle of Prague where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing under prince Schönaich. It lost 62 men during this battle. On June 18, the regiment took part to the battle of Kolin. It was deployed in the second line of the cavalry left wing under lieutenant-general Penavaire. On November 22, the regiment took part to the battle of Breslau where it was deployed near Gabitz in the prince of Württemberg's brigade, in the second line of the left wing under lieutenant-general von Zieten. On December 4, it was in the vanguard when the Prussian army under Frederick II advanced straight towards the Austrian camp in the area of Leuthen. On December 5 at the battle of Leuthen, the regiment was deployed in Krockow's brigade in the second line of the cavalry right wing under Zieten. It lost 118 men in this battle.
On October 14 1758, the regiment took part in the battle of Hochkirch where it was initially deployed in support of the second line of cavalry of the left wing under Seydlitz. It lost 21 men during this battle.
On August 12 1759, the regiment took part to the battle of Kunersdorf, losing 11 officers, 40 NCOs and 484 privates.
On August 15 1760, the regiment took part to the battle of Liegnitz where it captured 1,000 prisoners with 12 guns, 2 flags and 3 standards, loosing 77 men and 1 standard. A few months later, it fought at the battle of Torgau.
In 1762, the ranks of the regiment were replenished and it now counted 1,000 men. On October 29, it took part to the battle of Freiberg.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1759 to 1762
|Headgear||black tricorne (no lace) with a black cockade fastened with a small yellow button and dark red pompons
N.B.: for combat, the tricorne was reinforced with an iron cap
|Coat||cobalt blue with 2 yellow buttons under the lapel and 3 yellow buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
|Waistcoat||straw yellow with one row of small yellow buttons and horizontal pockets, each with yellow buttons|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.
The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne (no lace) with a black cockade (attached with a golden fastener) and black and silver pompons
- golden buttonholes on the coat
Drummers of the regiments of dragoons wore the same uniform as the troopers but decorated on the seams with a yellow lace with white stripes.
Standards were made of damask. They were swallow-tailed and measured some 50 cm along the pole, 65 cm from the pole to the extremity of a point and 50 cm from the pole to the centre of the indentation. The cords and knots were of silver threads. The pole of the standard was a yellow tournament lance reinforced with iron hinges. The golden spearhead wore the crowned monogram of Frédéric Wilhelm (FWR).
|Colonel Standard (Leibstandarte): white field with red corners fringed gold with yellow central medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and decorated with a black eagle flying towards a golden sun surmounted by a white scroll bearing the golden motto "Non Soli Cedit". Decoration in gold in each corner (crowns, laurel wreaths and “FWR” ciphers).||Squadron Standard (Eskadronstandarte): yellow field with red corners fringed gold with white central medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and decorated with a black eagle flying towards a golden sun surmounted by a yellow scroll bearing the golden motto "Non Soli Cedit". Decoration in gold in each corner (crowns, laurel wreaths and “FWR” ciphers).|
Funcken, Liliane and Fred , Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Nelke, R., Preussen
Thümmler, L.-H., Preußische Militärgeschichte
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar