Origin and History
After the conquest of Franche-Comté by the French Army, a large number of gentlemen abandoned the service of Spain to rally France. Accordingly, on March 1 1668, King Louis XIV created this regiment to attach the gentlemen of Franche-Comté to his service. However, the new regiment was named Bourgogne instead of Franche-Comté because this recent conquest was incorporated into the Dukedom of Bourgogne.
This regiment counted two battalions.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served on the Rhine from 1733 to 1735.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially served on the Lower Rhine in 1741. In 1742 and 1743, it took part in the Bohemian campaigns and had to surrender at Egra. The regiment was exchanged in 1744 and returned to Alsace. In 1745, it was at Pfaffenhohen. In 1746, it was transferred to the Italian theatre of operation. In 1747, it was sent to the Marguerite Islands.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 43rd and was commanded by:
- since May 26 1745: Marquis d'Hérouville
- from November 30 1761 to June 5 1763: Comte de Bouzols
Service during the War
In 1755, the regiment was sent to garrison Rochefort. From there, it went to Brest. Then, its two battalions were sent to different theaters of operation for most of the Seven Years' War. The 1st Battalion remained in Europe while the 2nd was sent to Canada.
By August 1 1757, the battalion was garrisoning Esparre in the Bordeaux country.
In 1755, the 2nd battalion (13 companies) embarked on the Dauphin Royal at Brest. The fleet set sailed for Canada on May 3. The battalion disembarked at Louisbourg where it served as garrison until the capture of the town by a British army at the end of July 1758.
When the 2nd battalion returned from Canada, a battalion remained in Rochefort while the other was cantoned on the Isle of Oléron.
In the summer and autumn of 1759, a few companies of the 1st battalion of the regiment were assigned to Thurot's Squadron which was blockaded in the harbour of Dunkerque by a British squadron under the command of Commodore William Boys. In October, Boys' Squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 p.m., Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward. He then sailed for Ostend, then to Göteborg in Sweden, partly to procure stores, and partly, no doubt, to baffle pursuit or observation. There he remained for 19 days, going next to Bergen in Norway. On December 5, Thurot's flotilla quitted Bergen and proceeded to the British seas, by way of Streymoy in the Faroe Islands.
On January 25 1760, Thurot's flotilla reached the neighbourhood of the Irish coast. The weather confounded an intended descent near Londonderry, and scattered his flotilla. On February 15 (or 17), Thurot's flotilla put into Claigeann Bay, in the Island of Islay in Argyleshire to refresh. They boarded and plundered two small sloops lying at anchor in the small bay of the island. The French crews then landed on the island. On February 19, Thurot left Islay. On February 20, he anchored in Belfast Lough, opposite Kilroot Point. On February 21, the detachment of the regiment took part in the attack on CarrickFergus who soon capitulated. On February 25 at 8:00 p.m., Thurot re-embarked his troops. On February 27 at 10:00 p.m., Thurot finally sailed from Carrickfergus for France. On February 28 at 4:00 a.m., 3 British frigates got sight of Thurot's flotilla as it rounded Copeland Island and gave chase. At 6:00 a.m., they caught up. At 9:00 a.m., they engaged the three French frigates. The engagement lasted about 90 minutes before the French were forced to strike theirs colours. The French prisoners were brought to Ramsey on the Isle of Man then to Belfast where they arrived on March 2. On May 10, they were freed and transported to France.
|Coat||grey-white lined grey-white with copper buttons down to the waist on the right side
|Waistcoat||red with one row of small copper buttons; horizontal pockets, each with 3 copper buttons|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
Initially, in 1755, the Ministry of the Navy supplied new uniforms to the troops sent as reinforcement to Canada. Accordingly, the 2nd Battalion was issued uniforms differing from its regulation uniform. In 1757, this battalion received uniforms more in accordance with its full regimental regulation. The Ministry of the Navy specifications for the Canadian uniform of 1755 were as follows.
Both in the Continental and Canadian services:
The drummers of the regiment wore the Royal Livery: blue coat lined red; red cuffs, waistcoat and breeches; laced with the braid of the small Royal Livery.
The colonel flag was white with golden fleur de lys and a white Burgundy cross. The three ordonnance flags were white with golden fleur de lys and a red Burgundy cross.
Bakshian, Aram Jr., Soldiers of New France - French and Indian War, The Armchair General Vol. 1 No. 3, 1968
Chartrand, René, The French Soldier in Colonial America
Evrard, P., Praetiriti Fides
Manuscript "Troupes du Roi, Infanterie française et étrangère, année 1757, tome I", Musée de l'Armée, Paris
Menguy, Patrice, Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien, Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757, Service Historique de l'armée de terre
Taccoli, Alfonso; Teatro Militare dell' Europa, Part 1, vol. 2; Madrid, March 1760
Vial, J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo LaceWars Group Message No. 17449