Origin and History
The ship was built at the Deptford dockyard and launched on October 21 1755.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1755: captain Peircy Brett
- from November or December 1756: captain William Gordon
- from April 1757: captain Thomas Burnett
- from 1760: captain William Goostrey (killed in action during the siege of Havana)
- from July 1 1762: captain John Lindsay
The ship was broken up in Plymouth in July 1808.
Service during the War
In 1757 and 1758, the ship was appointed to the West Indies station and served as flagship of commodore John Moore.
At the beginning of January 1759, the ship was among the fleet assembled at Carlisle Bay in Barbados under commodore John Moore for the planned expedition against the Martinique and Guadeloupe islands. She served as the commodore's flagship. On January 13, the whole British force sailed for Martinique Island. On January 15, the fleet lay off the bay of Fort Royal (actual Fort de France). On January 18, after an unsuccessful attempt of the land troops to capture Fort Royal, the British fleet proceeded to Saint-Pierre, the second town in Martinique. On January 19, the attack of the coastal batteries failed and commodore Moore decided to redirect his efforts against the island of Guadeloupe. On January 22, the British fleet reached Basse-Terre. On January 23, the ship was part of the squadron sent against the citadel of Basse-Terre while other vessels bombarded the town which was almost entirely destroyed. On January 24, British troops landed and occupied the town. Until March 11, most of the fleet remained idle in front of Basse-Terre. Moore then transported most of the land forces to Fort Louis before falling back to Prince Rupert's Bay in the Island of Dominica, in order to cover Basse-Terre and the British Leeward Islands from the threat of the newly arrived French squadron. The island of Guadeloupe finally capitulated on May 1. In June, the ship sailed back to Great Britain.
On March 9 1760, the ship was part of rear-admiral Holmes' squadron who sailed from Gosport to escort a convoy transporting the 68th Foot (approx. 600 men) as reinforcements for the garrison of Guadeloupe Island. The squadron reached at Barbados then sailed for Guadeloupe. On May 7, it anchored in the roads of Basse-Terre one of most important towns of Guadeloupe island. The ship was then appointed to the Jamaica station.
In 1762, the ship took part in the expedition against Cuba where, on July 1, her captain was killed in action while attacking Fort Moro. During this action, the ship lost 25 killed and 95 wounded.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||166 ft (50.6 m)|
|Width||47 ft (14.3 m)|
|Depth||20 ft (6.1 m)|
|Displacement||1615 tons (1641 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 3rd Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.