Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1702 for the Prince Adolph von Mecklenburg-Strelitz. It garrisoned at Harburg. The second battalion was raised in 1743.
During the Seven Years War the successive regimental inhabers were:
- since 1717: von Rhöden
- from 1741: von Spörken
- from 1742: von Wrangel
- from 1746: de Cheusses
- from 1757: von Dreves
- from 1761: von Goldacker
Service during the War
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with the Allied Main Army under Ferdinand of Brunswick in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the right wing under the command of the Erbprinz (Hereditary Prince) of Brunswick. At 1:00 p.m., the regiment followed the Hereditary Prince in his attack against the wood held by Saint-Germain Division. Towards the end of the battle, the Hereditary Prince and Gilsa rallied the battalion along with other Allied infantry units and advanced onto the plain. The Comte de Gisors at the head of 4 squadrons of Carabiniers charged these advancing battalions who let them close in to about 20 paces before firing a devastating volley mowing down in an instant most of the first rank. A single squadron managed to break through but the third rank of infantry knocked it down.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the Allied Main Army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On August 1, the regiment was part of the left wing of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps in the engagement of Gohfeld.
On July 10 1760, the regiment was part of a column under Lieutenant-General von Oheimb sent by Ferdinand of Brunswick to support the Hereditary Prince engaged in a Combat near Corbach. Oheimb's column arrived too late to take part in the action, reaching Meineringhausen only at 9:00 a.m.
On February 15 1761, the regiment was attached to General von Spörcken's Corps who took part in the surprise attack on Langensalza. On July 16, the regiment was present at the Battle of Vellinghausen where it formed part of Wolff's Corps detached by Spörcken from Herzfeld to reinforce Wutginau.
By May 23 1762, the regiment formed part of the Allied Main Army under Ferdinand of Brunswick. On June 24, the regiment fought in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal where it formed part of the 6th column under General Spörcken. On July 23, it took part in the Combat of Lutterberg when the Allies surprised the Saxon Contingent and forced it to retire. After the successful attack, the regiment formed part of the rearguard who covered the retreat of the Allied Army.
|Coat||red with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||middle yellow with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons|
N.B.: several other sources, like the Brauer Knötel plates, depict this uniform with straw yellow and green as distinctive colour (straw yellow lapels, straw yellow cuffs, green turnbacks and green waistcoat). The uniform seems to have changed during the war.
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.
The drum pattern had hoops of alternating middle yellow and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre. The belt was red laced gold.
Colonel Colour: white field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Colour: yellow field; within a palm wreath a ship at sea is backed by cliffs and stars above; blue scroll above reads IN DEO CONSERVATIO MEA. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar