Origin and History
The frigate was built by Joseph-Marie-Blaise Coulomb at Toulon from December 1756, launched on February 6 1758 and first commissioned in July 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- no information found
The frigate was sold in August 1783.
Service during the War
In 1759, the frigate was part of the fleet assembled at Toulon under de la Clue which was destined to reinforce the main French fleet at Brest for the planned invasions of Great Britain. By mid May, de la Clue's squadron was almost ready for sea when a British squadron under the command of Boscawen, conducting operations in the Mediterranean, appeared off Toulon and blockaded the harbour. At the beginning of July, Boscawen was compelled to go to Gibraltar for provisions and repairs. On August 5, de la Clue set sail from Toulon to make a junction with de Conflans' fleet at Brest. On August 17, de la Clue's fleet (10 ships of the line, 2 50-gun ships and 3 frigates) passed the straits of Gibraltar where it was sighted by the Gibraltar (20). Alarmed, Boscawen set sail from Gibraltar to intercept de la Clue. During the night of August 17 to 18, this frigate along with 2 others of de la Clue's squadron lost sight of his flagship and steered for Cadiz. She did not take part in the disastrous battle of Lagos in the afternoon of August 18.
|Crew||7 officers, 240 men|
|Length at gundeck||44.17 m|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks
Deschênes, Ronald, Frégates du Roi de 1682 à 1767
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.