Comte de La Marche Infanterie

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Comte de La Marche Infanterie

Origin and History

The regiment was created on September 17 1684 and took the name of the Province of Nivernais. Indeed, expecting a coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments.

During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served in Italy in 1733.

From 1739 to 1741, the regiment was stationed in Corsica.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially served in Flanders in 1742. In 1743, it was transferred to the Lower Rhine. It was then sent back to Flanders where it served in 1744 and 1745. It was finally transferred to Genoa where it was stationed in 1747 and 1748.

On February 9 1753, the regiment was renamed “Comte de La Marche”. In 1759, it changed its name again to “La Marche-Prince”.

The regiment counted one battalion.

N.B.: not to be confused with the La Marche Regiment.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 86th and was under the command of:

  • since February 9 1753: Louis-François-Joseph de Bourbon-Conti, Comte de La Marche
  • from February 20 1761 to 1774: Marquis de Chamborant

Service during the War

From 1756, the regiment was assigned to the guard of the coasts of Bretagne.

By August 1 1757, the regiment was stationed at Auray in Bretagne.

In June 1759, during the French offensive in Western Germany, the regiment was part of the main army, under the command of the Marquis de Contades, and was deployed in the first line of the infantry centre. On August 1, the regiment took part in the Battle of Minden where it was deployed in the first line of the infantry right wing under the command of the Chevalier de Nicolaï. It was sent forward to support Touraine Brigade but was soon driven out of its defensive position by a charge of an Allied cavalry brigade.

By the end of January 1760, the regiment had taken its winter-quarters in the third line of the French army along the Rhine and the Main from its mouth. By mid March, the regiment was billeted in Babenhausen and Dieburg, in the third line of the French army. By May 23, the regiment was part of the first line of the infantry centre of Broglie's Army. On July 10, the regiment was part of the left wing of Broglie's Grande Armée who came to the support of the vanguard around noon in the Combat of Corbach. On October 16, the regiment arrived in Düsseldorf to reinforce Castries' Corps.

To do: campaigns of 1761 and 1762

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1758 - Source: Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per
Etrennes militaires 1758,
and Etat militaire 1761
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced gold (silver in 1759) with a black cockade (white cockade as per Taccoli)
Grenadier black tricorne laced gold (silver in 1759) with a black cockade
Neck stock black
Coat grey-white
Collar none (blue in 1759)
Shoulder Straps n/a
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 4 copper buttons

N.B.: pewter buttons in 1759

Cuffs blue, each with 4 copper buttons

N.B.: pewter buttons in 1759

Turnbacks none (Taccoli depicts white turnbacks)
Waistcoat grey-white with copper buttons (blue with pewter buttons in 1759)
Breeches grey-white
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Cross-belt natural leather
Waist-belt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard n/a


Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.

N.B.: We did not find the Etat militaire for this regiment in 1759 and 1760 but Taccoli's work, published in 1760, illustrates the new uniform described in the Etat militaire of 1761. This suggests that the new uniform was in fact introduced in 1759 when the regiment changed its name from “Comte de La Marche” to “La Marche-Prince”.

Officers

n/a

Musicians

n/a

Colours

Colonel colour: white field with a white cross.

Ordonnance colours: a white cross; each canton consisted of three horizontal bands: blue, feuille morte (reddish brown) and isabelle (coffee).

Colonel Colour - Source: Kronoskaf
Ordonnance Colour - Source: Kronoskaf

References

Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (a website who has unfortunately disappeared from the web)

Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891

Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Service Historique de l'armée de terre: Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757

Taccoli, Alfonso: Teatro Militare dell' Europa, Part 1, vol. 2; Madrid, March 1760

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.