Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> French Navy >> Content (64)
Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by Chapelle in Toulon (France) in 1746. She was launched in 1747.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1756: chevalier de Raimondis
The ship was striken off of the fleet in 1772.
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship participated to the amphibious expedition against Minorca. On May 20, she took part to the battle of Minorca against admiral Byng's squadron where a French fleet prevented him to bring reinforcement to Fort St. Philip in Mahon.
|Length||146 feet (47.42 m) French feet|
|Width||40 feet (12.99 m)|
|Depth||19 feet (6.20 m)|
|Displacement||1180 tons (1070 metric tons)|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 291-295
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco: Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VI, Paris, 1891, pp. 3-19
Unknown author, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780