Origin and History
It descended from the Dalafänikan raised in 1542 and the Storeregemente from Upplands, Dalarna and Västmanlands. The regiment was initially raised in 1617 as the Upplands Storeregement, one of the nine Grand Regiment organised by Gustavus Adolphus.
In 1621, the Dalarna unit was one of the first to make use of the allotment system that would become common in the Swedish army at the end of the century.
In 1626, this Grand Regiment was permanently split into three smaller regiments (Upplands, Dalarna and Västmanlands) and a cavalry regiment (Upplands).
On December 5 1682, the Grand Regiment was finally broken down into three distinct and independent regiments, giving birth to the Dalarnas Infantry regiment.
During the Great Northern War, the regiment initially served in Zeeland against Denmark but was soon transferred to the Baltic region where it took part in the Battle of Narva (November 30 1700). In 1701, it served in Livonia. In 1702, the regiment joined the Swedish Main Army at Warsaw and fought at Kliszów (July 19). It then returned to the Baltic region where it served from 1702 to 1705. In 1708, it was present at the battles of Holowczyn (July 14) and Malatitze (August 31). In 1709, the regiment surrendered after the Battle of Polatava fought on July 8. In 1710, the regiment was reformed with new recruits in Sweden. Stockholm garrison with one battalion, then transferred to Rügen in 1712 and then in Pomerania with Stenbock. Fought at Gadebusch (December 9, 1712). In 1713, the regiment surrendered at Tönningen. It was reformed once more in 1715 in Roslagen and in 1716 and 1718 it took part in the expeditions against Norway.
During the next war against Russia (1741-1743), the regiment was at the Battle of Villmanstrand (August 23 1741).
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, the regiment consisted of 1,200 privates in 2 battalions of 4 companies. Each company had 150 privates and 11 officers, NCOs and musicians.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- J. Cronstedt
Service during the War
In 1757, a battalion of the regiment (about 600 men in 4 coys) were sent to Pomerania.
In 1758, 2 companies of the other battalion (about 200 men) were also sent as reinforcement to Pomerania. On November 18, a detachment of the regiment was part of General von Lingen's force at the combat of Güstow.
The regiment remained in Pomerania until 1761.
|Coat||dark blue with 10 tin buttons down the front with yellow trimmed buttonholes and 2 tin buttons at the small of the back
|Gaiters||white stockings with brown leather strap at knee|
Troopers were armed with a sword and a musket. The bayonet was permanently fixed to the musket.
Schirmer as well as Pengel and Hurt mention white trimmed buttonholes.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of privates with the following differences:
- silver lace on the tricorne
- no shoulder straps
- brass buttons (smaller than those of officers)
NCOs carried halberds but no cane.
Officers wore a blue uniform (coat) with blue distinctives (collar, cuffs, turnbacks). They were further distinguished from privates by:
- a gold lace on the tricorne
- no turnbacks on the coat
- a silver gorget
- brass buttons
- blue or black breeches (breeches of the same colour as those of the privates were also worn)
N.B.: contrarily to the custom in other armies, Swedish officers did not wear any sash
Horses were equipped with blue housing with a yellow border.
The uniform of the drummers were identical to those of the privates but white laces decorated the collar, seems, edges and pockets of the coat.
The drum was brass with provincial coats of arms embossed on the front. The rims were blue with yellow edging.
The pikes used as staffs to carry the colours were always yellow. The Liffana had gold finials while the Kompanifana had steel finials. The colours measured 2.12 x 1.70 m. (1.81 x 1.33 m. as per Clifford).
Liffana (colonel flag): white field; centre device carried the crowned royal arms of Sweden flanked by 2 crowned golden lions; the outer corner of the first canton carried 2 crossed golden arrow surmounted by a golden crown.
N.B.: for the liffana, Clifford adds a pedestal supporting the arms, the letters “AFRS” above the arms and 1 royal crown in the corner of each of the 3 remaining cantons.
Kompanifana (ordonnance flag): dark blue field; centre device consisted of 2 crossed golden arrow surmounted by a golden crown; the whole surrounded by a green laurel wreath tied with a gold ribbon.
The colonel's battalion carried the Liffana and a Kompanifana. The lieutenant-colonel's battalion carried 2 Kompanifanor.
Großer Generalstab: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen - Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. Vol. 6 Leuthen, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher), Berlin 1904, pp.92-107, Annex pp. 11-16
Höglund, Lars-Eric and Ake Sallnäs: The Great Northern War 1700-1721, Colours and Uniforms, Acedia Press, Karlstadt, 2000
Economic Expert: Uplandia Grand Regiment (website)
Pengel, R. D. and G. R. Hurt: Swedish Army in Pomerania – 1757-1763, Birmingham, 1983
Purky, Jim: Swedish Army Organization, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. X No. 1
Säwe, Teofron: Sveriges deltagande i Sjuåriga Kriget Åren 1757-1762, Beijers Bokförlagsaktiebolag, Stockholm, 1915
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, Neuauflage 1989
Schorr, Dan: Swedish Flags 1757-1762 - Part II Infantry Flags, The Courrier, March-April 1980
Schorr, Dan: Uniforms of the Swedish Army, 1757-1762, The Courrier, June-July 1979
Swedish War Archives, Sketches of infantry uniforms
Wilson, Peter: The Swedish Army in 1756, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. X No. 1
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.