Dauphin Royal (74)
Origin and History
The ship was built by B. Ollivier in 1735 in Brest and launched in 1738.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1755: M du Tertre de Montalais
- in November 1759: Captain Chevalier d'Uturbie Fagosse
In 1778, she took part to the battle of Ouessant.
In 1780, she took part to the 3 battles of Guichen.
She was striken off of the fleet in 1783 after an exceptionnally long career of 45 years.
Service during the War
In 1755, she took part to the expedition to reinforce Canada and more particularly Louisbourg. For this campaign, she was armed as a "flute", her armament being reduced to 24 guns. She transported 9 companies of Bourgogne Infanterie.
In November 1759, in preparation for the planned invasion of England, the ship set sail for Quiberon Bay with the Brest Fleet. On November 20, she took part in the battle of Quiberon. After the defeat, during the night of November 20 to 21, the ship along with 7 other French ships of the line hauled in for the Aix Island and took refuge at Rochefort.
|Length||153' 8" (49.70 m) in French feet|
|Width||42' (13.67 m)|
|Depth||20' 6" (6.66 m)|
Deschênes, Ronald, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.