Origin and History
The ship was built by Jacques-Luc Coulomb in 1755 in Brest and launched on June 26, 1756.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from 1760 to August 1763: Chevalier Jean-Guillaume Toussaint Picquet
The ship was broken up in 1797.
Service during the War
In March 1757, the ship formed part of Beauffremont’s Squadron (8 sail). On March 16, this squadron was cruising cruising off Cape Cabron, Saint Domingue (present-day Haïti) when it sighted the British Greenwich (50) who immediately made sail from it. The French squadron gave chase and, on March 18, the three leading ships (Diadème (74), Éveillé (64) and a frigate) came up with the Greenwich and opened fire. The Greenwich was quite hemmed in, and at length, seeing that her position was hopeless, she struck. In June, Beauffremont’s Squadron went to the relief of Louisbourg.
|Length||179 ft (54.57 m)|
|Width||45 ft 11 in (14.02 m)|
|Depth||21 ft 10 in (6.66 m)|
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 294
Deschênes, Ronald, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, 3 Decks
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns and battles.