Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1692 and garrisoned at Buxehude and Bremervorde.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- from 1756: von Diepenbroick
- from 1759: von Rhoedern
- from 1762: Prinz Ernst von Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Service during the War
On July 26 1757, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment took part in the Battle of Hastenbeck where it was deployed in the first line of the right wing under the command of General Block.
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 17, when Spörcken set off from his camp at Rheinberg, he left the regiment at Orsoy. On October 10, the regiment fought in the Battle of Lutterberg where it was deployed the first line of the centre.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On July 27 in the afternoon, the Hereditary Prince set off from Petershagen, near Minden, with 6 bns, including this regiment, and 8 dragoon sqns, a corps totalling some 6,000 men, and marched south-westward to Lübbecke to threaten the French left flank and the supply line between Minden and Paderborn. On August 1, the regiment was part of the right wing of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps in the engagement of Gohfeld.
On July 10 1760, the regiment was present at the Combat of Corbach where it was attached to the Reserve under the Prince von Anhalt. This reserve did not take part to the combat.
On February 15 1761, the regiment fought in the Combat of Langensalza. On March 21, it took part in the engagement of Grünberg where it was taken prisoners. By July 16, it had been exchanged and was attached to Spörcken's Corps, remaining at Herzfeld on the left bank of the Lippe during the Battle of Vellinghausen.
By May 23 1762, the regiment served in the main Allied army, in Lieutenant-General Count Kielmansegg's Division. On June 24, the regiment took part in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||white with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating white and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: Exceptionally this regiment had its own colonel colour which had a white field; centre device consisting of a Lion couchant surmounted by a yellow scroll carrying the motto UT ALI DORMIANT.
Regimental Colour: red field; centre device consisting of a Lion couchant surmounted by a yellow scroll carrying the motto UT ALI DORMIANT. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. der Jüngere, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer, Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar