Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by Gilles Cambry at Lorient and launched on September 21 1752. She belonged to the Compagnie des Indes, not to the Marine Royale. She entered service in September 1753.
On December 1753, the ship was commissioned for a voyage to Pondicherry, returning to Lorient on June 8 1755.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from December 13 1753 to June 8 1755: captain François le Fol de la Londe
- from March 31 1756 to June 12 1756: captain René-Louis de Surville
- from December 30 1756: Jean-Baptiste d'Après de Mannevillette
- from May 1758 to at least September 1759: captain Joseph Bouvet
- from late 16 1759 to December 31 1760: captain Étienne Mahy
The ship was stricken off of the fleet in July 1761.
Service during the War
On March 31 1756, the ship was commissioned at Lorient for service in the East Indies but the project was cancelled on June 12 1756. On December 30, she was commissioned again for service in the East Indies.
On January 27 1758, the ship was part of d'Aché's squadron which sailed from Île de France and made for the coast of Coromandel in India, transporting reinforcements under the command of Lally. Owing to the monsoon, it was much delayed. On April 28, the squadron arrived at daybreak into the roadstead of Fort St. David. The French squadron cut off the escape of the Bridgewater (24) of captain John Stanton, and Triton (24) of captain Thomas Manning, which were lying there, and which, to save them from capture, were run ashore and burnt. On April 29, while Lally was disembarking his troops at Pondicherry (actual Puducherry), the ship (with only 50 guns) was part of d'Aché's squadron who fought at the combat of Cuddalore but her captain took up a post behind the French line, and, in the most cowardly manner, fired across it at the British. In May, d'Aché relieved d'Après from command and replaced him by captain Bouvet. On August 3 1758, when Pocock made another attempt to dislodge the French squadron from Pondicherry, the ship took part to the combat of Negapatam where she engaged the Elizabeth (64).
On September 10 1759, the ship took part in the battle of Pondicherry.
On December 31 1760, the ship was decommissioned at Île de France.
In July 1761, the ship was disarmed at Île de France.
To do: details of the campaigns from 1760 to 1761
|Guns||64 (20 in 1753, 26 in 1756, 50 in 1757)
|Length at gundeck||146 ft 4 in (44.60 m)|
|Width||39 ft 6 in (12.04 m)|
|Depth||17 ft 4 in (5.28 m)|
|Displacement||1050 tons (953 metric tons)|
Blasco, Manuel, Ship of the Compagnie des Indes, 3 Decks Wiki
Service historique de la Défense, Les mouvements au long cours des navires de la deuxième Compagnie française des Indes orientales
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.