Duc d'Aquitaine (64)
Origin and History
The ship was built for the French “Compagnie des Indes” by Nicolas Levesque at Lorient and launched on July 22 1754.
On May 30 1757, the ship was captured by the British Royal Navy. On June 23, she was incorporated into the Royal Navy.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from March 1758: Captain Washington Shirley
- from January 10 1759 to January 1 1761: Captain Sir William Hewitt
The ship foundered off Pondicherry on January 1 1761.
Service during the War
In January 1759, the ship was among the reinforcements sent to India under rear-admiral Samuel Cornish. They consisted of 3 ships of the line: the Lenox (74), Cornish's flagship; the Duc d'Aquitaine (64); and the York (60); along with the Falmouth (50) and 3 East Indiamen. On April 14, the expedition sailed for the East Indies. On October 17, on his way to Bombay, vice-admiral George Pocock was joined by these reinforcements.
On January 1 1761, the ship foundered off Pondicherry during a cyclone, only 19 men survived.
|Guns||pieced for 64 guns but carrying only 20 guns when captured by the Royal Navy
|Crew||11 officers and 249 men in 1755; 590 men in 1758|
|Length at gundeck||159 ft 5 in (48.59 m)|
|Width||44 ft 4 in (13.51 m)|
|Depth||19 ft 5 in (5.92 m)|
|Displacement||1358 tons BM (1380 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 3rd Rates
Harrison, Simon; Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.