Origin and History
The ship was built at Blackwall dockyard and launched in 1666 as the HMS Warspite. By 1685, she was mounting 68 guns.
In 1702, the Warspite was rebuilt at Rotherhithe as a 66-gun ship.
In 1721, the Warspite was rebuilt again at Chatham. She was then launched on June 30 of the same year as the HMS Edinburgh.
In 1744, the Edinburgh was rebuilt a third time at Chatham as a 64-gun ship. She was launched on May 31 1744.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1757: captain William Langdon
The ship was broken up in 1771.
Service during the War
In October 1757, the ship was part of captain Forrest's squadron which had been sent by rear-admiral Thomas Cotes to intercept a French convoy that would soon leave Cap-François (actual Cap-Haïtien) for France. On October 21, Forrest's squadron engaged a French squadron in the combat of Cap-François. The British ships were so badly damaged that they had to return to Jamaica for repair. The Edinburgh lost 5 killed and 30 wounded. The French convoy seized this opportunity to set sail for France.
To do: campaigns of 1758 to 1763
|Length at gundeck level||154 feet (46.9 m)|
|Width||44 feet (13.4 m)|
|Depth||18 feet 11 inches (5.8 m)|
|Displacement||1285 tons ( metric tons)|
Castex, Jean-Claude, Dictionnaire des batailles terrestres franco-anglaises de la Guerre de Sept Ans, Presse de l'université Laval, Québec: 2006, pp. 42-45
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 164-166