Origin and History
The regiment was created on September 12 1684. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment initially served in Italy from 1733 to 1735. In 1736, it was at Landau in the Palatinate.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment took part to the campaign in Bohemia in 1742. In 1743, it was stationed at Saint-Omer. It then served in Italy from 1744 to 1747.
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, the regiment counted only one battalion. A second battalion was created on August 30 1762 and the regiment was assigned to colonies and harbours service.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 82nd and was under the command of:
- since December 1 1745: chevalier de Grollier
- May 7 1758: comte de Rougé
- February 20 1761: marquis de Damas
- from December 1 1762 to January 3 1770: comte de Maulevrier
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment was stationed at Le Havre.
By August 1 1757, the regiment was with the French army on the Weser. At the end of the year, it took its winter quarters in the first line of the French Army at Hattdorf.
In April 1758, when Clermont redeployed his army along the Rhine, the regiment was stationed at Kleve. After the successful crossing of the Rhine by Ferdinand's army on May 31, the regiment retired towards Rheinberg where it joined Clermont's army on June 2. It remained in this camp until June 12 and was placed in the centre of the first line. On August 5, the regiment formed part of Chevert's corps and took part to the combat of Mehr where it was brigaded with Brancas Infanterie and distinguished itself, its brigade being the last one to retire from the battlefield.
In 1760, the regiment was sent to Saint-Domingue (Haiti) where it remained until July 1765 and then returned to France.
|Waistcoat||grey-white (blue in 1761)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross and each canton consisted of a green and an isabelle (coffee) triangles and was disposed in opposition.
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien, Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757, Service Historique de l'armée de terre
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 2304