Forez Infanterie

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> French Army >> Forez Infanterie

Origin and History

The regiment was formed on September 10 1684 and took the name of the Province of Forez. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments.

During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served in Italy from 1733 to 1735.

After the war, the regiment was sent to occupy Corsica from 1739 to 1741.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment was sent on the Lower Rhine in 1742. In 1744, it served in Flanders. It was then transferred to Nice where it remained from 1745 to 1746.

The regiment counted only one battalion.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 79th and was under the command of:

  • since April 22 1756 until June 5 1763: Marquis de Bernage

Service during the War

The regiment spent most of the war guarding the northern coast of France against British incursions.

By August 1 1757, the regiment was stationed at Boulogne in Picardie.

On October 16 1760, the regiment arrived at Rheinberg in Germany to reinforce Castries's Corps.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1758 - Source: Kronoskaf
Uniform Details as per
Etrennes militaires 1758,
and Etat militaire 1761
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced gold with a black cockade
Grenadier black tricorne laced gold with a black cockade
Neck stock black
Coat grey-white
Collar none (red in 1761)
Shoulder Straps n/a
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 copper buttons
Cuffs red, each with 3 copper buttons
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat grey-white (red in 1761)
Breeches grey-white
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box natural leather
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard n/a


Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.

Officers

n/a

Musicians

n/a

Colours

Colonel colour: white field with a white cross.

Ordonnance colours: a white cross; each canton was aurore (light orange) with a black diagonal band. Ordonnance flags remained unchanged from 1684 to 1776.

Colonel Colour - Source: Kronoskaf
Ordonnance Colour - Source: Kronoskaf

References

Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (a website who has unfortunately disappeared from the web)

Mouillard, Lucien: Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882

Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891

Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Service Historique de l'armée de terre - Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757