Origin and History
The regiment was formed on September 10, 1684 and took the name of the Province of Forez. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments. The new regiment was given to Jean-Noël de Barbezières, Comte de Chémerault.
In 1690, during the Nine Years' War (1688-97), the regiment took part in the expedition of Ireland where it fought in the Battle of the Boyne and contributed to the defence of Limerick. In 1691, it was transferred to the Army of the Alps. In 1693, it took part in in the Battle of Marsaglia where its colonel was killed. In 1696, it was at the siege of Valenza. In 1697, it was transferred to the Army of Flanders.
In 1705, during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-13), the regiment took part in the sieges of Verrua and Chivasso; in 1706, in the siege of Turin and in the Battle of Castiglione; and in 1707, in the defence of Provence and Toulon. From 1708 to 1712, the regiment served in the Army of the Alps. In 1713, it was transferred to the Army of Flanders.
In 1733, during the War of the Polish Succession (1733-35), the regiment joined the Army of Italy. In 1734, it took part in the battles of San Pietro and Guastalla.
In 1736, the regiment returned to France. From 1739 to 1741, it occupied Corsica.
In 1742, during the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the regiment was sent on the Lower Rhine. In 1743, it was at the Battle of Dettingen. In 1744, it served in Flanders and later took part in the defence of Alsace and in the siege of Freiburg. In 1745 and 1746, it served in the Army of the Lower-Rhine. In 1747, it took part in the conquest of Nice. In 1748, it was allocated to the Army of the Var.
After the war, the regiment was placed in garrison in Pratz de Mollo.
On the eve of the Seven Years' War, the regiment counted only one battalion.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 79th and was under the command of:
- from April 22, 1756: Louis-Pierre de Chastenet, Marquis de Puységur
- from March 4, 1757 to June 5, 1763: Marquis de Bernagede Chaumont
The regiment was incorporated in Angoumois Infanterie on April 26, 1775.
Service during the War
The regiment spent most of the war guarding the coasts of Normandie against British incursions.
By August 1, 1757, the regiment was stationed at Boulogne in Picardie.
On October 16, 1760, the regiment arrived at Rheinberg in Germany to reinforce Castries's Corps.
In 1763, the regiment was in garrison at Caen.
|Waistcoat||grey-white (red in 1761)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
Colonel colour: white field with a white cross.
Ordonnance colours: a white cross; each canton was aurore (light orange) with a black diagonal band. Ordonnance flags remained unchanged from 1684 to 1776.
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Susane, Louis: Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française, J. Corréard, Paris, 1849-1856, Tome 8, pp. 222-223
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Menguy, Patrice: Les Sujets du Bien Aimé (a website which has unfortunately disappeared from the web)
Mouillard, Lucien: Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V.: Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Service Historique de l'armée de terre - Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757