Origin and History
This vessel was the British sloop Falcon recaptured in 1746 (the Falcon had been built in 1744).
During the Seven Years' War, the sloop was under the command of:
- until May 21 1756: Commander Jervis Maplesden
The sloop was sold in 1770.
Service during the War
At the beginning of 1756, the sloop was part of the small squadron operating in the Mediterranean under the command of captain George Edgecumbe. When a French amphibious force invaded Minorca, this squadron managed to escape the French fleet on April 23, leaving the harbour after bringing in about ten captured French merchant vessels. It arrived at Gibraltar on May 2. The sloop then joined admiral Byng's squadron which sailed from Gibraltar on May 8 to relieve Fort St. Philip besieged by the French. On May 19, the squadron came into sight of Fort St. Philip. On May 20, the sloop took part to the battle of Minorca where several British ships were seriously damaged but none was lost on either side. After a council of war, Byng gave orders to return to Gibraltar, abandoning Minorca to its fate.
To do: campaigns from 1757 to 1762
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 146-160
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy