Origin and History
The unit was raised in May 1757 by Vice-Oberjägermeister Count von der Schulenburg, who had been promoted to major-general. The unit consisted of:
- 2 mounted jäger companies (respectively under Captain Friedrichs and Captain von Ompteda)
- 2 foot jäger companies under the command of Major Freytag from Diepenbroick Infantry (each company respectively under Captain Dyckhoff and Captain Baring).
Soldiers were raised among hunters, gamekeepers and other persons experienced with rifles.
On July 22, 1757, a third foot company, under Captain von Wrede, was added to the regiment. On August 1 of the same year, a fourth foot company was raised and placed under the command of Captain von Linsingen.
By the end of 1757, the unit consisted of:
- 1 commander
- 1 major
- 1 adjutant
- 1 regimental quartermaster
- 1 field preacher
- 1 regimental surgeon
- 1 staff quartermaster-sergeant
- 1 provost and servant
- Mounted Corps of 2 companies (for a total of 212 men), each company of:
- 4 officers
- 9 NCOs
- 90 jägers
- 1 clerk
- 1 farrier
- 1 surgeon
- Foot Corps of 4 companies (for a total of 624 men), each company of:
- 5 officers
- 14 NCOs
- 135 jägers
- 1 clerk
- 1 surgeon
In 1758, 2 additional foot companies were raised. The unit thus comprised 2 mounted companies and 6 foot companies.
In February 1759, 1 additional mounted company was raised. The unit thus comprised 3 mounted companies and 6 foot companies. The same year, the unit was reorganised into 3 brigades, each of 2 foot companies and 1 mounted company. The unit also received one 4-pdr gun. In April, in recognition for their conduct during an expedition, Duke Ferdinand gave two captured 4-pdr guns to the unit of Lieutenant-Colonel Freytag who now had a total of three 4-pdrs.
In April, 1759, the 6 foot coys of the Hanoverian Jägerkorps were each increased by 5 NCOs and 45 men. Therefore, the unit now counted 3 mounted coys (each of 106 men) and 6 foot coys (each of 206 men) for a total of 318 mounted jägers and 1,236 foot jägers and a grand total of 1,565 men. It was organised in 3 brigades:
- 1st (White) Brigade under Major Friedrichs
- 1 mounted coy under Major Friedrichs
- 1 foot coy under Captain Brunsich
- 1 foot coy under Captain Hattorf
- 1 x 4-pdr gun
- 2nd (Yellow) Brigade under Captain von Linsingen
- 1 mounted coy under Captain von Campen
- 1 foot coy under Captain von Linsingen
- 1 foot coy under Captain von Bülow
- 1 x 4-pdr gun
- 3rd (Red) Brigade under Captain von Bülow sen.
- 1 mounted coy under Captain Conrady
- 1 foot coy under Captain von Bülow sen.
- 1 foot coy under Captain von Rhoeden
- 1 x 4-pdr gun
In 1760, 3 additional mounted companies were raised. The unit thus comprised 6 mounted companies and 6 foot companies. Accordingly, each brigade now consisted of 2 foot companies and 2 mounted companies.
The successive Jägerkorps inhabers were:
- from 1757: Count von der Schulenberg
- from 1759 until 1763: Lieutenant-Colonel von Freytag
By 1763, the Freikorps consisted of 3 mounted companies and 4 companies of foot. It was disbanded at the end of the war.
Service during the War
On July 26 1757, the regiment took part in the Battle of Hastenbeck where its foot jägers were detached on the Obensberg while the mounted jägers were scouting in front of the right wing.
On May 26 1758, a detachment of 160 men of this unit was part of Wangenheim's Corps encamped at Dorsten. On May 31, this corps accompanied Ferdinand of Brunswick in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the unit took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-general von Spörcken.
On April 13 1759, part of the the unit was at the Battle of Bergen where it was attached to the vanguard. After a fight, Freytag's light troops occupied Marköbel to the north-east of Bergen, pushing back the French picquets. In June, 5 coys of the regiment were part of the Allied Main Army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick and 5 other coys were with Imhoff in Hesse. On August 4, the regiment was part of the detachment, under the command of Urff, sent towards Paderborn through Lemgo, Detmold and Lippspringe. On August 5, Urff's detachment intercepted the French heavy baggage at Detmold, capturing the escort (about 800 men), the Saxon military chest, Contades' confidential correspondence and the baggage of most senior officers.
By the end of January 1760, the unit was attached to the Allied Army of Ferdinand of Brunswick. On April 28, a French force (Apchon Dragons and some volunteers) under M. de Vair launched an attack on Vacha on the frontiers of Hesse, forcing the Allied force (2 coys of Freytag Foot Jägers, 1 coy of Freytag Horse Jägers, and 1 sqn of Black Hussars) under the command of Colonel Freytag to abandon the town. Freytag then took position on a neighbouring rising ground to delay the French while Allied reinforcements (2 grenadier bns) were sent to his support. Upon arrival of these reinforcements, the French force retired pursued by the Allies beyond Geisa. In this affair, the Allies lost 30 men killed or wounded and the French 120 men. On July 16, the unit joined the Hereditary Prince near Treysa. He used it as an escort while reconnoitring the French positions before launching a surprise attack. The unit then participated in the Engagement of Emsdorf where the Hereditary Prince captured most of Glaubitz's detachment.
Throughout the war, the regiment was heavily involved in the Kleinkrieg.
|Coat||dark green with 3 pewter buttons under the lapels
|Waistcoat||dark green with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Rank and file were armed with a rifle.
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1760
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 9 Bergen, Berlin, 1911, p. 50, 142, Append. 6
Niemeyer Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.