Fusiliers-Guides de Metzenius
Origin and History
The unit was created by a decree dated February 20, 1761. It consisted of a single mounted company of fusiliers-guides comprising:
- 1 captain
- 1 lieutenant
- 1 second-lieutenant
- 2 sergeants
- 2 corporals
- 2 ansepessades
- 34 guides
The company was attached to the staff of the army where it served.
During the Seven Years' War, the unit was commanded by:
- since 1761: M. de Metzenius
The company was disbanded by a royal decree dated November 20, 1762.
Service during the War
No information found yet.
We assume that the uniform was similar to the uniform of the Fusiliers-Guides de Plinchamp. This seems to be corroborated by the partial description made by Sapin-Lignères.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced false silver with a white cockade fastened with a small pewter button|
|Coat||blue lined blue with pewter buttons on the right side
|Waistcoat||blue with pewter buttons|
|Gaiters||white or white|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a dragoon style bayonet, a pistol, a sabre and a cartridge box (20 cartridges).
The housing colours are unknown. However, they were probably similar to those of the Fusiliers-Guides de Plinchamp: blue edged white.
Officers wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- silver laced tricorne
- silver buttons
- no turnbacks
- black boots with white knee covers
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- sergeants: silver laced tricorne with 3 silver brandebourgs on each sleeve
- corporal: 3 white woollen brandebourgs on each sleeve
- anspessade: 2 white woollen brandebourgs on each sleeve.
There were no musicians attached to this company.
This company carried no colours.
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891, p. 220
Jean-Louis Vial of Nec Pluribus Impar for the initial version of this article.