Origin and History
The unit was raised by New Jersey in 1756. In 1757, it numbered 120 men.
By 1758, Gardiner was at the head of 2 companies. In 1760, his unit had been reduced to 120 men once more.
During the Seven Years' War, the unit was commanded by:
- in 1757: Captain Gardiner
Service during the War
In 1757, the unit guarded the frontiers of New Jersey along the Delaware River.
In 1760, the unit was stationed at Fort Oswego.
Each officer and soldier was supplied with a blanket, a waistcoat a lapelled kersey jacket, buckskin breeches, 2 check shirts, 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of stockings, a leather cap and a hatchet.
The unit probably had no colour.
Sypher, J. R. And E. A. Apgar: History of New Jersey – From the Earliest Settlements to the Present Time, Philadelphia: Lippincott, Grambo & Co., 1871, pp. 81-82
Zedric, Lance: Elite Warriors – 300 Years of America's Best Fighting Troops, Pathfinder, 1996