Origin and History
A squadron of hussars was raised on May 1 1735. It was designated as the Leibhusarenschwadron.
In 1758, three additional squadrons were raised and the unit was renamed Husarenregiment von Gorcy.
The regiment counted 4 squadrons.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was owned by:
- from 1759: Colonel Johan Baptist Gorcy de la Martiniere
- from 1763: Colonel Alexander Maxim Friedrich von Bouwinghausen-Walmerode
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the effective command of:
- from 1754: Major Johann Gustav von Rackenitz
- from 1758: Rittmeister Julius Albrecht Alexander von Pöllnitz
- from 1759: Lieutenant-colonel Alexander Maximilian Friedrich von Bouwinghausen-Walmerode
- from 1763: Major Johann Georg von Grassenburg
On August 29 1763, at the departure of its former owner, the regiment took the name of Husarenregiment von Bouwinghausen.
In 1798, the last existing squadron was incorporated in the Garde du Corps as Chevaulegers.
Service during the War
In 1759, the regiment served in Hessen under French subsidies. On November 3, the Duke of Württemberg was instructed by the Duc de Broglie to march to Gemünden with his contingent. On November 11, the Württemberger Contingent arrived at Gemünden. The duke then sent his hussars on the Kinzig River. On November 19 and 20, the Württemberger Contingent (about 10,000 men), led personally by the duke, arrived at Fulda and took up its winter-quarters to assist the French army. The duke sent a detachment, including most of the regiment, to Hersfeld. This detachment took post along the Fulda River where it created a cordon to the Württemberg Army's quarters with each patrol in close touch to one another. On Friday November 30, an Allied force under the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick launched a surprise attack on Fulda, forcing the Würtemberger Contingent to retreat precipitously southwards on Bruckenau in the general direction of Frankenland and Württemberg. From December 19 to 23, the Württemberg Contingent (now only 7 bns) was at Steinberg. On December 25, the Duke of Württemberg marched to Schotten.
In 1760, the entire regiment took part in the campaign of Saxony against the Prussians.
To do: details of the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Headgear||brown kolback with a red flame and a green or black plume|
|Breeches||red laced yellow|
Troopers were armed with a short, curved sabre, two pistols and a carbine.
no information available yet
no information available yet
According to the Militaerplan of 1758: there were 6 Cornets (2 per squadron) in this regiment.
No detail about the standards has been found in our sources.
Frederic, Jacques André, Etat des Trouppes de S.A.S. Monseigneur le Duc de Virtemberg et Theck sur pié en 1759, Augsburg, 1759
Knötel, R., Uniformkunde, Lose Blätter zur Geschichte der Entwicklung der militärischen Tracht, Vol. II, Plate 41, Württemberg. Kürassier-Regiment v. Phull. Feldjäger-Corps. Husaren-Rgt. v. Gorcy. 1759, Rathenow, 1890-1921
Knötel, Herbert d. J. and dr. Martin Letzius, Deutsche Uniformen, Vol. 1, Das Zeitalter Friedrich des Großen, Sturm-Zigaretten GmbH, Dresden, 1932
Military Miniatures Magazin, Die Armee von Carl Eugen Herzog von Württemberg, Herzogtum Württemberg 1756 – 1763
Stadlinger, L., J. von, Geschichte des Württembergischen Kriegswesens – von der frühesten bis zur neuesten Zeit, Stuttgart, 1856
Zahn, Michael, Die Herzoglich Württembergische Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg, Manuskript, Stuttgart: January 2008
Zenetti, F., Herzoglich Württembergisches Militär unter Karl Eugen, in: Die Zinnfigur, Number 1 (1985), S. 2-10
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.