Graf Brühl Infantry
Origin and History
|The regiment was raised in 1741 with contributions from all infantry regiments. Thereafter it participated in all campaigns till 1745. In 1748 it was augmented by 4 coys of the disbanded 2nd Garde. In 1749, 6 coys were disbanded.
In 1756, the regiment became prisoner at Pirna and turned over into Prussian service becoming the regiment of Major-general von Wylich.
In 1757, the regiment reformed with a single battalion in Hungary and fought with the French armies till the Treaty of Hubertusburg. Thereafter, it reformed in 3 battalions with a total of 14 coys.
In 1778, the regiment was reduced to 2 battalions in 10 coys.
Seven Years' War Organisation
The État of 1756 mentions with 2 battalions with 10 coys of musketeers and 2 coys of grenadiers. Each musketeer coy counted 95 men, grenadier coy 97 men, the regimental staff consisted of 17 men. The regiment totaled some 1,160 men.
In 1757, the reformed regiment counted only 1 battalion with 4 coys plus 1 coy of dismounted Gardedukorps serving as grenadiers.
In 1761, the grenadier company was disbanded and its troopers incorporated into a newly formed cavalry regiment.
Chef of the regiment:
Kommandeur of the regiment:
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under von Harthausen, as part of von Risckwitz's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The regiment was then forcefully incorporated into the Prussian Army as Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 51 Wylich.
In 1757, a new regiment was raised, consisting of a single battalion of 4 musketeer companies. A 5th company of grenadiers was also added, it was formed from dismounted men from the Gardedukorps. The new regiment was included into the Saxon Auxiliary contingent serving with the French Army.
In 1758, to avoid further contact with the Prussians, the Contingent marched through southern Germany and had, by July, assembled in Strasbourg. On September 3, the regiment was part of the Saxon contingent, under the command of Prince Xaver, who encamped at Castrop, 15 km from Recklinghausen, on his way to make a junction with the French army of the Marquis de Contades. This contingent made a junction with Contades' army around mid September. As part of Chevert's corps, it reinforced the army of the Prince de Soubise in Hesse. On October 10, it first saw action at the battle of Lutterberg where its determined attacks decided the day for the French army. On October 20, 10 days after this victorious battle, the Saxon regiments rejoined Contades at Werl.
On April 13 1759, the regiment took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the first line of the left wing under the command of the baron de Dyherrn. In June 1759, during the French offensive in West Germany, the regiment was part of the main army under the command of the Marquis de Contades where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry centre. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry left wing under the command of the comte de Lusace.
To do: description of the actions of the regiment from 1760 to 1763.
Besides the uniform worn at the beginning of the war in 1756 and after the capitulation of Pirna, the new regiments were re-dressed with white uniforms from Austrian depots, just adapting the distinctive colors. Because of the difference between Autrian and Saxon color pigments, the distinctive colors have perhaps changed a little bit (medium red instead of poppy red ?).
|Coat||white with a brass button in the small of the back and 3 brass buttons at waist level (right side only)
|Waistcoat||poppy red with horizontal pockets with 3 silver buttons and lapels with silver buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sword.
Officers and NCOs wore a black tricorne laced ???silver/gold??? with a white cockade.
Officers wore ??? breeches.
Leibfahne: white field. In the centre an ermine mantel backed light blue, crowned with a royal gold crown. On the mantelgold, four shields wearing the Polish arms (white eagle on a red field), the arms of Lithuania (white knight riding a horse on a red field), the royal "AR" in gold on a light blue field, , the arms of Saxony (two crossed crimson swords on a field of black over white and a lime green crown on a black and yellow stripe field). A very richly designed border in the distinctive color (ponceau red) with a yellow (buttons color) piping.
Ordinarfahne: ponceau red field. In the centre, the golden royal cipher "AR" on a white pedestal surmounted by a royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. A very richly designed border in yellow (buttons color) with a white piping.
Friedrich, Wolfgang, Die Uniformen der kurfürstlich Sächischen Armee 1683-1763, Dresden 1998
Müller, Reinhold, Die Armee Augusts des Starken: Das Sächische Heer von 1730-1733, Berlin 1984
Origin and History: editors translation from "Geschichte und gegenwärtiger Zustand der Kursächsischen Armee." (History and present state of the Saxon Army.) 2nd edition, part IX, Dresden 1793.
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Wagner, Siegbert, Die Uniformen des kursächischen Armee im Jahre 1745, unpublished manuscript, Hannover 1979
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.