Origin and History
The bomb vessel was built at Ipswich and launched in 1742.
In 1750, she was transformed into a sloop of war.
During the Seven Years' War, the sloop was under the command of:
- in January 1759: commander Samuel Uvedale
The sloop was sold out of the navy in 1763.
Service during the War
In 1758, the sloop of war was transformed back into an 8 guns bomb vessel.
At the beginning of January 1759, the bomb vessel was among the fleet assembled at Carlisle Bay in Barbados under commodore John Moore for the planned expedition against the Martinique and Guadeloupe islands. On January 13, the whole British force sailed for Martinique Island. On January 15, the fleet lay off the bay of Fort Royal (actual Fort de France). On January 18, after an unsuccessful attempt by the land troops to capture Fort Royal, the British fleet proceeded to Saint-Pierre, the second town in Martinique. On January 19, after failing to silence the batteries around Saint-Pierre, commodore Moore decided to redirect his efforts against the island of Guadeloupe. On January 22, the British fleet reached Basse-Terre. On January 23, the fleet bombarded the citadel and town of Basse-Terre which was almost entirely destroyed. On January 24, British troops landed and occupied the town. Until March 11, most of the fleet remained idle in front of Basse-Terre. Moore then transported most of the land forces to Fort Louis before falling back to Prince Rupert's Bay in the Island of Dominica, in order to cover Basse-Terre and the British Leeward Islands from the threat of the newly arrived French squadron. The island of Guadeloupe finally capitulated on May 1.
|Guns||12 (8 guns once transformed into a bomb vessel in 1758)|
|Length at gundeck||not available|
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.