Halberstadt Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Hanoverian Army >> Halberstadt Infantry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised in 1745 from the 3rd battalion of Bourden Infantry. This battalion had originally been raised for Bourden in 1744. Bourden, himself, deserted to the French in 1745 and his regiment was split into three regiments: Graf Keilmannsegge (later 12A), Brunck (later 12B) and Hohorst (later 13A).

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:

  • since 1746: von Halberstadt
  • from: 1748: von Diepenbroick
  • from 1758: von Fersen
  • from 1760: von Ahefeldt

In 1763, the regiment was combined with Wrede (13B).

Service during the War

On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the battle of Krefeld where it formed part of the 6 battalions under Lieutenant-general Oberg ordered to make diversion towards Sankt-Tönis. On October 10, the regiment took part in the battle of Lutterberg where it fought in the first line of the centre.

During the first half of 1759, the regiment formed part of the Allied army of Ferdinand of Brunswick. It was attached to Post brigade in the first line of the infantry centre. On April 13, it took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the second column under the Prince von Ysenburg. The French units in Bergen were soon strengthened by a reserve. Prince von Isenburg, who had been a rallying point for Hessian resistance against the French, fell leading the repeated assaults up a steep slope against the abattis situated around the village. The Hanoverian and Hessian troops then withdrew. In June 1759, the regiment was part of Imhoff's corps operating in Hesse.

On February 15 1761, the regiment took part in the combat of Langensalza. On July 16, it took part in the battle of Vellinghausen where it was deployed in Wolff's Corps, detached by Spörcken from Herzfeld to reinforce Wutginau.

By May 23 1762, the regiment served in Granby's Corps forming the left wing towards Dörnberg. On June 24, it took part in the battle of Wilhelmsthal.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1759 -
Source: Hannoverdidi
Uniform Details
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced white with red and blue pompoms with a black cockade and a sprig of oak leaves
Grenadier mitre in the British pattern with a small front flap. The mitre design is unknown but likely had a blue front and small red flap with white decorations. The front badge would most likely have been a garter and crown with GR or the White Horse inside. The small flap would have had white scroll work, red sack, blue back base all piped in white lace.
Neckstock black
Coat red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
Collar none
Shoulder Straps red (left shoulder)
Lapels medium blue with 7 pewter buttons and 7 white buttonholes
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes
Cuffs medium blue (slashed in the British pattern) with 3 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes just above each cuff on the sleeves
Turnbacks medium blue fastened with a pewter button
Waistcoat medium blue with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons
Breeches straw yellow
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box black
Bayonet Scabbard black
Scabbard black
Footgear black


Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.

Officers

Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.

Musicians

Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.

The drum pattern had hoops in alternating medium blue and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.

Colours

Colonel Flag: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).

Colonel Colour - Source: Hannoverdidi

Infantry Ordannance: Blue field, white middle shield surrounded by laurel and palm leaves, surmounted by a crown, red motto band twisted across white shield in the form of a triangle, charged with green wreaths and a crown, motto at the base of the triangle PRAEMIA SPERATA. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).

Regimental Colour - Source: Interpretation of the Reitzenstein Sammlung (circa 1761)
Regimental Colour - Source: Interpretation of user Hannoverdidi

References

Biles, Bill, The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3

Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761

Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer, Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin

Manley, S., The War of the Austrian Succession - Part IX, Potsdam Publications

Niemeyer, Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg, The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War

Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press

Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle

Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar

Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 1481

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.