Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1745 from the 3rd battalion of Bourdon Infantry. This battalion had originally been raised for Bourdon in 1741. Bourdon, himself, deserted to the French in 1745 and his regiment was split into three regiments: Graf Kielmannsegg (later 12A), Brunck (later 12B) and Hohorst (later 13A).
Exceptionally, from 1746 to 1759, the regiment was designated as the “Fusilier Battalion” instead of using the name of its proprietor.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 1748: Lieutenant-Colonel Gustav Wilhelm von Diepenbroick
- from 1750: Lieutenant-Colonel Hans Jürgen von Halberstadt
- from 1758: Lieutenant-Colonel Johann Heinrich von Fersen (promoted to colonel in 1759, killed in action in 1760)
- from 1760: Colonel Siegfried Ernst von Ahlefeldt (promoted to major-general in 1762 and to lieutenant-general in 1776)
In 1763, the regiment was combined with Wrede (13B).
Service during the War
In 1757, the battalion was brought to the field for the first time. In December, during the Allied counter-offensive in Hanover, it took part in the siege and capture of Harburg.
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it formed part of the 6 battalions under Lieutenant-general Oberg ordered to make diversion towards Sankt-Tönis. On October 10, the regiment took part in the Battle of Lutterberg where it fought in the first line of the centre. In this battle, it lost 9 officers (Ensign Buchholtz, killed; Colonel von Fersen, Captains Stempshorn, Hamelberg, Drott and Hademstorf, Lieutenant Weber, von dem Knesebeck, Ensign Dreyer, wounded) and 216 men killed, wounded or taken prisoners. After the battle, the regiment was placed under the command of Prince von Ysemburg who took position at Einbeck to cover the surrounding country.
During the first half of 1759, the regiment formed part of the Allied army of Ferdinand of Brunswick. It was attached to Post brigade in the first line of the infantry centre. On April 13, it took part in the Battle of Bergen where it formed part of the second column under the Prince von Ysemburg. The French units in Bergen were soon strengthened by a reserve. Prince von Ysemburg, who had been a rallying point for Hessian resistance against the French, fell leading the repeated assaults up a steep slope against the abattis situated around the village. The Hanoverian and Hessian troops then withdrew. In June, the regiment was part of Imhoff's Corps operating in Hesse. It later took part in the siege of Münster.
In February 1760, the regiment took up its winter-quarters in the region of Münster.
On February 15 1761, the regiment took part in the Combat of Langensalza. It later joined the siege corps led by the Count von der Lippe-Bückeburg and Lieutenant-General von Bock in front of Kassel. On July 16, the regiment took part in the Battle of Vellinghausen where it was deployed in Wolff's Corps, detached by Spörcken from Herzfeld to reinforce Wutginau.
By May 23 1762, the regiment served in Granby's Corps forming the left wing towards Dörnberg. On June 24, it took part in the battle of Wilhelmsthal. It was later employed in the siege and capture of Kassel.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||medium blue with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating medium blue and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Flag: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Infantry Ordannance: Blue field, white middle shield surrounded by laurel and palm leaves, surmounted by a crown, red motto band twisted across white shield in the form of a triangle, charged with green wreaths and a crown, motto at the base of the triangle PRAEMIA SPERATA. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Wissel, Friedrich v. and Georg von Wissel: Geschichte der Errichtung sämmtlicher Chur-Braunschweig-Lüneburgischen Truppen, sammt ihren Fahnen, Standarten und Pauken-Devisen ..., Zelle, 1786, pp. 727-731
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Manley, S.: The War of the Austrian Succession - Part IX, Potsdam Publications
Niemeyer, Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.