Hampton Court (64)
Origin and History
The ship was initially built at Rotherhithe as a 70-gunner and launched in 1709. It was rebuilt at Rotherhithe, starting on July 20, 1742 by Joseph Allin and launched on April 3, 1744.
In 1745, during the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the ship captured the French privateers Diane, Lys (32) and Dauphin. In March 1747, along with other British ships, she took part to the capture of two French privateers: the Comte de Lowendahl (20) and the Neptune. Later the same year, she captured the privateers Triomphant, Gran San Juna and Thétis (20)
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from July 10, 1755: Captain Thomas Brodrick
- from May 15, 1756 to May 21, 1756: Captain Augustus John Hervey
- from August 20, 1756: Captain Sir William Burnaby
- from November 29, 1756: Captain Robert Swanton
- from February 1, 1758: Captain Augustus John Hervey
- from March 1, 1758 to March 5, 1759: Captain James Webb
- from November 21, 1760: Captain Carr Scrope
- from January 13, 1762 to September 19, 1763: Captain Alexander Innes
The ship was broken up at Plymouth on June 5, 1774.
Service during the War
In the latter part of May 1756, the ship was part of commodore Broderick's squadron of 5 ships of the line which had been sent from Great Britain to the Mediterranean to reinforce Byng fleet. The squadron arrived at Gibraltar on June 15 where it joined Byng's fleet which had been defeated at the battle of Minorca on May 20.
On June 21, 1757, the ship, operating in the Mediterranean, chased the French frigate Nymphe (24) who was scuttled and burnt in Alcudia Bay on Majorca to avoid capture.
At the beginning of 1758, a British squadron of 11 ships of the line and 9 frigates operated in the Mediterranean under the command of admiral Henry Osborn. This squadron intercepted a smaller French squadron which had sailed from Toulon for North America, forcing it to take refuge in the harbour of Cartagena. In February, the French sent a relief squadron (only 5 ships of the line and a frigate) under M. Duquesne. On February 28, Osborn off Cape de Gata, Osborn sighted 4 of these sail near his fleet and ordered them to be chased while the main part of the British squadron continued off Carthagena to watch the French ships there. The Monmouth (64), along with the Swiftsure (70) and the Hampton Court (64) chased the largest of the enemy, the Foudroyant (80). The Hampton Court get up too late to take part to the engagement which resulted in the capture of the Foudroyant. On July 1, it was at the destruction of the Rose (30) off Malta.
From April 1759 to January 1761, the ship undertook middling repair at Plymouth Dockyard. On March 29, she joined the fleet assembled for the expedition against Belle-Isle.
On March 5, 1762, the ship sailed for the West Indies. On May 28, she captured the Marte (18) and the frigate Venganza (26) in Mariel Bay, Cuba. From June to August, she took part in the siege and capture of Havana.
|Length||154 ft (46.94 m)|
|Width||44 ft (13,41 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 11 in (5.49 cm)|
|Displacement||1,282 tons BM|
Clowes, Wm. Laird: The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 146-160, 295
Harrison, Simon and Manuel Blasco, 3 Decks
Phillips, M.: Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.