Origin and History
On October 15 1756, when the Saxon Army surrendered to Frederick II near Pirna, the Saxon infantry was forcefully incorporated into the Prussian Army, former Fürst Lubomirsky Infantry thus becoming Infanterie-Regiment (Nr. 55) Hauss.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since October 15 1756: Major-General Baron C. von Hauss
- On December 25 1760 till 1763: L. P. von Roebel
Service during the War
In October 1756, the regiment was assigned to the garrison of Halle.
On August 12 1759, the regiment fought in the Battle of Kunersdorf where it was deployed in the infantry reserve of the centre as part of Klitzing's Brigade. On December 3, 1 battalion of the regiment was attached to a small isolated Prussian force under Major-general Dierecke who had taken post at Meissen. This small corps was attacked by a much stronger Austrian force during the Combat of Meissen. On December 4, the battalion, being among the 3 battalions still on the right bank of the Elbe, was overwhelmed and captured.
In 1760, the regiment served in Saxony. On August 20, 1 battalion of the regiment took part in the Combat of Strehla.
In 1762, the regiment served once more in Saxony. On May 12, 1 battalion of the regiment took part in the surprise attack on Doebeln where it was attached to the centre right column under Lieutenant-General Hans Wilhelm von Kanitz. At the end of July, it took part Seydlitz's incursion in Bohemia. On August 2, this battalion fought in the Combat of Teplitz. Finally, on October 29, the battalion was at the Battle of Freiberg where it formed part of the Reserve.
N.B.: the grenadiers from the wing grenadier companies were put together with the grenadiers of Blanckensee Fusiliers, forming the S-52/S-55 Kahlenberg Grenadier Battalion (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red, 6 yellow buttons grouped 2 by 2 on the chest and 3 yellow buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket, a bayonet and a sabre with a curved blade.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- black tricorne laced gold with a black and white quartered pompom and black within white tassels
- no shoulder straps
- gold laced cuffs
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a half-pikes measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.37 m.) in the fusilier companies and 13 Rhenish feet (4.10 m.) in the grenadier companies (carried by the 3 most senior NCOs while other grenadier NCOs were armed with rifled muskets since 1744).
NCOs also carried canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Officers wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following differences:
- black tricorne laced with a wide golden braid with a black cockade fastened with a golden clip; black within silver tassels
- no shoulder strap
- no turnbacks
Officers carried spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.).
Colonel Colour (Leibfahne): White field with light blue flamed cross. Centre device consisting of a light blue medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle surmounted by a white scroll bearing the golden motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, ciphers) and grenades in gold.
Regimental Colours (Kompaniefahnen): light blue field with a white flamed cross. Centre device consisting of a white medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle surmounted by a light blue scroll bearing the golden motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, ciphers) and grenades in gold.
Gavan, Dal: Colours of the Saxon regiments in the Prussian service
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, p. 125
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.