Origin and History
The ship was built by Adam Hayes at the Deptford Dockyard and launched on March 15 1759.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from March 1759: captain Jervis Henry Porter
- from October 1759: captain William Fortescue
- from 1760 until March 31 1763: captain Jervis Henry Porter
The ship was sold on August 17 1784.
Service during the War
On November 20 1759, the ship took part in the decisive battle of Quiberon who eliminated any serious threat from the French navy for the rest of the war.
In 1760, the ship joined the British squadron operating in the Mediterranean where she served until March 1763.
|Crew||550 to 600 men|
|Length at gundeck||166 ft 6 in (50.75 m)|
|Width||46 ft 6 in (14.17 m)|
|Depth||19 ft 9 in (6.02 m)|
|Displacement||1608 tons (1634 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 3rd Rates
Harrison, Simon; Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.