Hodenberg Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Hanoverian Army >> Hodenberg Infantry

Origin and History

The exact date of creation of the regiment is unknown. It was formerly part of a regiment of Principality of Brunswick-Celle which remained independent from Hanover until 1705 so it was probably part of the four regiment created by the House of Celle in 1617 for the Thirty Years' War. In 1632, it probably was at the Battle of Lützen.

In 1666, the regiment probably took part in an engagement against the Swedes for the reconquest of Bremen.

In 1671, a regiment of two battalions (10 companies) was established. It took part in the siege of Braunschweig.

In 1673, during the Franco-Dutch War (1672–78), the regiment campaigned against Turenne's French Army. In 1674, it took part in the Battle of Entzheim and in the storming of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines; in 1675, in the siege and capture of Trier; in 1676, in the blockade and capture of Stade where its second battalion was left. The first battalion then went to the blockade of Zweybrück. In 1677, the second battalion took part in the siege of Stettin. In 1678, the second battalion was at the siege of Stralsund while the first battalion fought in the combat of Saint-Denis.

In 1679, the regiment returned home but was soon sent to encamp to the west of Hamburg which was blockaded by the Danes.

In 1683, two companies were added to this regiment.

In 1685, during the Great Turkish War, eight of the twelve companies of the regiment were sent to Hungary where they took part in the siege of Neuhäusl (present-day Nové Zámky) before returning home.

In 1686, the regiment marched against the Danes to protect Hamburg, making itself master of Moorburg and Bergedorf.

In 1688, at the outbreak of the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the first battalion of the regiment was sent to the Rhine. In 1689, it took part in the Battle of Walcourt and in the capture of Mainz and Bonn; in 1690, in the Battle of Fleurus; in 1692, in the Battle of Steenkerque. In 1692, the regiment ceded two companies to another regiment. The same year, its second battalion was sent to Hungary. In 1694, the first battalion took part in the siege and capture of Namur.

In 1700, the regiment was sent against the Danes in Holstein.

In 1701, at the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-13), the first battalion was sent to the Netherlands In 1702, it took part in the sieges and capture of Kayserwerth and Venlo. In 1704, the second battalion had to replace De Carles Infantry, which had been decimated at Speyerbach, in the Dutch service. It joined the Allied army in Bavaria. Then the two battalions of the regiment took part in the Battle of the Schellenberg and in the famous Battle of Blenheim. In 1705, the regiment was incorporated into the Hanoverian Army. During that campaign, it took part in the forcing of the Lines near Heilesheim. In 1706, it fought in the Battle of Ramillies. Then its second battalion took part in the siege of Menen. In 1708, the first battalion took part in the Battle of Oudenarde then both battalions participated in the siege of the Citadel of Lille. In r 1709, the regiment took part in the Battle of Malplaquet. Its second battalion then participated in the siege of Tournay. The two battalions were later at the siege of Mons. In 1711, the first battalion took part in the siege of Bouchain. In 1712, the second battalion was at the capture of Le Quesnoy. In 1714, when most of the Hanoverian army returned home, the regiment remained on the Rhine with the Reichsarmee. It later returned to Hanover.

In 1719, the first battalion of the regiment took part in the incursion in Mecklenburg and in the action of Wallsmühlen against the Russians and the Mecklenburgers.

In 1724, the regiment was subdivided in two distinct regiments. The first battalion forming Sebo Infantry and the second, Ranzow Infantry (the object of the present article).

In 1729, the regiment assembled near Lüneburg. In 1733, it had to march to Mecklenburg once more to quench troubles.

In 1738, the regiment was part of Hanoverian force sent to reclaim possession of the Castle of Steinhorst, occupied by the Danes.

In 1741, at the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the regiment joined the army assembled at a camp near Nienburg. In 1743, it was part of the Reserve Corps encamped near Hanau on the Main. In 1745, it served on the Rhine. In February 1746, it went to Einbeck before being transferred to Brabant in the Austrian Netherlands. On October 11, it fought in the Battle of Rocoux where it suffered very heavy losses and was taken prisoners. It was soon exchanged. In the Autumn of 1747, it returned to Hanover.

In 1749, the regiment formed part of the garrison of Uelzen.

During the Seven Years War the regimental Chef were:

  • from 1747: Colonel Joachim Christoph von Hodenberg (promoted to major-general in 1757, died in July 1757 from wounds received at the Battle of Hastenbeck)
  • from July 1757 to 1772: Colonel Jobst Heinrich von Behr (promoted to major-general in 1759, died in 1772 in Lüneburg)

Service during the War

In May 1756, the regiment was part of the Hanoverian Contingent sent to reinforce Great Britain who feared a French invasion. On May 21, the contingent landed at Chatham. On May 22, the regiment marched to Maidstone. On August 4, it was transferred to Coxheath. It took up its winter-quarters in the region.

At the beginning of March 1757, the regiment was among the last Hanoverian battalions to disembark at Cuxhaven. It then returned to its garrison place. On July 26, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment fought in the Battle of Hastenbeck where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing. Its Chef was mortally wounded during the battle.

On May 26, 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-General von Spörcken.

In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On July 27 in the afternoon, the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick set off from Petershagen, near Minden, with 6 bns, including this regiment, and 8 dragoon sqns, totalling some 6,000 men, and marched south-westward on Lübbecke to threaten the French left flank and the supply line between Minden and Paderborn. On August 1, the regiment was part of the centre of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps at the engagement of Gohfeld. It then took part in the pursuit of the French rearguard up to Einbeck, Northeim and Varlosen before rejoining the main army. In September, the regiment took part in the siege of the Citadel of Marburg who finally surrendered on September 11. On the night of December 22, during the blockade of Giessen, the regiment was attacked by a French detachment but managed to drive it back. In this action, the regiment lost Captain von Estorf and Lieutenant Helmold killed; and Captain von Quirer wounded. The regiment took up its winter-quarters in Heuchelheim.

For the campaign of 1760, the regiment served in the army of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick. On July 10, the regiment was part of the Prince von Anhalt's Reserve at the Combat of Corbach. This reserve did not take part in the engagement. On the night of July 14, having intelligence that a French party (6 bns, Bercheny Hussards and some light troops) under General Glaubitz was on its way to Ziegenhain from Marburg, evidently with the object of disturbing his communications, Ferdinand detached the Hereditary Prince to take command of 6 bns (Behr (1 bn), Marschalk (1 bn), Mansbach (2 bns) and Hessian 2. Garde (2 bns)) which were lying at Fritzlar, and to attack Glaubitz whose forces had encamped at Vasbeck for the night. On the morning of July 15, the Hereditary Prince marched rapidly southward, being joined on his way at Zwesten (present-day Bad Zwesten) by Luckner Hussars and by the 15th Light Horse (under Major Erskine), which had just arrived from Great Britain. On reaching the vicinity of Ziegenhain, he found that Glaubitz was encamped farther to the west, near the village of Emsdorf. His troops being exhausted by a long march, the Hereditary Prince halted for the night at Treysa. On July 16 at 11:00 a.m., he posted the regiment in a hollow near Speckswinkel, 1.5 km before Erksdorf. The Allies captured most of Glaubitz's detachment in the Engagement of Emsdorf. In this combat, the regiment lost Captain-Lieutenant von Normann who was killed. In the autumn, the regiment accompanied the Hereditary in his unsuccessful siege of Wesel.

At the beginning of the campaign of 1761, this regiment was attached to Spörcken's Corps posted near Warburg. In June, this corps was threatened by Broglie's Army. On June 29 at 5:00 a.m., Broglie's army passed the Diemel, forcing Spörcken to abandon Warburg and to retreat in an attempt to effect a junction with the main body. During the march, the regiment formed part of the rearguard. Belzunce and Chabot caught up with Spörcken's rearguard, who was retiring to Willebadessen towards Hameln, and took 300 prisoners and 10 pieces. Finally, Spörcken's rearguard made a junction with his corps (approx. 13 infantry rgts and 5 cavalry rgts). On July 10, Spörcken finally established communication with the main Allied army when he reached Harsefeld (unidentified location). On July 16, the regiment was present at the Battle of Vellinghausen but was attached to Spörcken's detachment who remained at Herzfeld on the left bank of the Lippe and did not take part in the battle. On July 29, Spörcken's Corps finally effected a junction with the main Allied army. On August 5, the regiment took part in the combat of Stadtberg where the Allies were heavily cannonaded but managed to drive the French back.

From August 21, 1762, the regiment took part in the siege of Kassel. On September 6, as part of a corps under Major-General Waldhausen, it crossed the Fulda and encamped at Ellenbach on the heights behind Sangershausen. On September 14, it returned to Kassel where it participated in the siege until the surrender of the place on November 1. During the siege, the regiment lost Captain-Lieutenant Goeben, Lieutenant Heine and Ensign Hildebrand killed, After the capture of Kassel, the regiment formed part of its garrison.

After the peace, the regiment assumed garrison duty in Uelzen and Lüneburg.



Uniform in 1756 - Copyright: Kronoskaf
Uniform Details
Musketeer black tricorne laced yellow with a sprig of oak leaves, three red/white pompoms and a black cockade
Hodenberg Infantry Grenadier Mitre Cap - Source: Hannoverdidi
Prussian mitre in the British pattern with a small front flap. Brass front with coat of arms. Small brass flap embossed with GR. Red sack, buff base lined with yellow lace.
Neck stock black
Coat red with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
Collar none
Shoulder Strap red (left shoulder only)
Lapels orange, each with 7 brass buttons and 7 yellow buttonholes
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes
Cuffs orange (slashed in the British pattern), each with 3 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes just above each cuff on the sleeves
Turnbacks orange fastened with a brass button
Waistcoat orange with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons
Breeches straw yellow
Gaiters white
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box black
Bayonet Scabbard black
Scabbard black
Footgear black

N.B.: all textual sources indicate orange as the distinctive colour but graphical sources show a rather pale orange (almost buff).

Uniform in 1759 - Copyright Kronoskaf

During the war, Hanoverian uniforms were gradually simplified.

Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt) and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.


Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.


Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.

The drum pattern had hoops in alternating orange and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.


Colonel Colour: white field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).

Colonel Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf

Regimental Flag: yellow field; centre device consisting of an armoured Roman with raised sword between two marble pillars which are connected by a chain on which dangle two laurel crowns and three laurel wreaths; the whole central scene surmounted by a scroll carrying the motto ANTIQUAE AVIDUS GLORIAE. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).

Regimental Colour - Source: Interpretation of the Reitzenstein Sammlung (circa 1761)
Regimental Colour - Copyright: Kronoskaf


This article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:

Other sources

Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3

Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761

Knötel, H. d. J. and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin

Niemeyer, Joachim and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War

Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press

Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle

Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Vial, J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar