Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1671 and garrisoned at Dannenberg and Bleckede.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- since 1747: von Hodenberg
- from 1757: von Behr
Service during the War
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the battle of Krefeld where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-general von Spörcken.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of the Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On July 27 in the afternoon, the Hereditary Prince set off from Petershagen, near Minden, with 6 bns, including this regiment, and 8 dragoon sqns, totalling some 6,000 men, and marched south-westward towards Lübbecke to threaten the French left flank and the supply line between Minden and Paderborn. On August 1, the regiment was part of the centre of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps at the engagement of Gohfeld.
For the campaign of 1760, the regiment served in the army of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick. On July 10, the regiment took part in the combat of Corbach. A few days later, on July 16, the regiment fought in the engagement of Emsdorf, covering the road from Emsdorf to Kirchhain along with Freytag Jägers and 5 guns.
On July 16 1761, the regiment was present at the battle of Vellinghausen but was attached to Spörcken's detachment who remained at Herzfeld on the left bank of the Lippe and did not take part in the battle.
|Coat||red with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||orange with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons|
N.B.: all textual sources indicate orange as the distinctive colour but graphical sources show a rather pale orange (almost buff).
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt) and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating orange and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Flag: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Flag: Yellow field. Armoured Roman with raised sword between two marble pillars which are connected by a chain on which dangle two laurel crowns and three laurel wreaths. Scroll above reads ANTIQUAE AVIDUS GLORIAE. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill, The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. d. J. and Hans M. Brauer, Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer Joachim, Ortenburg Georg, The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 1481