Husarenkorps Piosasque

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Bavarian Army >> Husarenkorps Piosasque

Origin and History

The unit was created on February 19 1754 by Lieutenant-colonel Joseph Hieronymus Count Piosasque, formerly serving in a dragoon regiment). This Husarenkorps was destined to assume police duties. The unit was raised in Dachau and had a strength of 3 officers and 38 men, who had signed for three years of service.

In 1754, a detachment of 10 men was stationed in Munich while other detachments made border patrols along the Lech River from Rain to Schongau.

During the Seven Years' War, the unit was under the command of:

  • since February 19 1754: Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Hieronymus Count Piosasque
  • from 1758 to 1765: Colonel Joseph Hieronymus Count Piosasque

After the Seven Years' War, on April 11 1764, the unit was reduced to 50 men.

On April 24 1765, the unit was disbanded. The same day, its former troopers were incorporated into the newly raised Freibataillon Piosasque.

Service during the War

The unit was used for border patrol, it assisted the custom authorities in collecting custom fees; it escorted wagons transporting money; assumed police duties on market days; and escorted convoys of recruits to prevent desertion. Furthermore, since the creation of the unit in 1754, a detachment was based in Munich.

In 1757, a detachment of 2 officers and 30 men (later 20 men) was stationed in Munich. Meanwhile, other detachments reconnoitred the Prussian forces raising contribution in northern Upper Palatinate (MGBA, 88). After its successful service against the Prussians in the Upper Palatinate, the unit returned to its usual police duties (MGBA, 173).

In January 1758, Count Piosasque was authorised to increase his unit to a total of 68 men. Thus, his unit would consist of:

  • 1 Kommandeur: Count Piosasque
  • 2 Rittmeister (cavalry captain)
  • 1 first lieutenant
  • 2 sergeants
  • 1 surgeon (from 1760)
  • 1 Furier
  • 1 trumpeter
  • 4 corporals
  • 3 vice-corporals
  • 53 hussars

By 1759, detachments were stationed in Munich, Ingolstadt, Straubing, Braunau and Donauwörth.

In 1761, the unit made border patrols on the border of Palatinate and Neuburg.

On December 22 1762, Count Piosasque was authorised to increase his unit to a total of 80 men.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform Details
Headgear kolback made of fox-skin with blue-white cords and tassels, a blue-mourant bag, a blue-white plume and a blue-white cockade
Neck stock unknown
Pelisse red
Fur trim probably black
Lace probably white braids
Buttons probably white
Dolman blue-mourant, lined with leather, probably with white braids and white buttons
Collar unknown
Cuffs unknown
Trousers unknown colour decorated with an intricate lace (probably white) on each thigh
Leather Equipment
Cross-belt unknown colour
Waist-sash unknown colours
Scabbard red leather
Boots black boots
Horse Furniture
Saddle-cloth black, probably with a white-blue girdle
Sabretache red probably edged white


Troopers were armed with a short, curved sabre, a carbine and two pistols.

Overall, the uniform had 72 small and 18 large buttons.

Officers

no information available yet

NCOs

no information available yet

Musicians

The trumpeter wore a red coat, a blue Kamisol with silver epaulettes, blue breeches, and a silver laced tricorne. His brass trumpet was decorated with black and white cords and tassels.

Colours

no information available yet

References

Probst, Christian: Fahrende Heiler und Heilmittelhändler: Medizin von Marktplatz und Landstrasse, 1992

Bayerisches Heeresarchiv: Geschichte des bayerischen Heeres: Geschichte des kurbayerischen Heeres unter Kurfürst Karl Albrecht und Kurfürst Max III. Joseph 1726-1777

Fischer, Martin: Chur-bayrischer Hof-Calender und Schematismus: Auf d. Jahr 1750 bis 1764

Die Armee von Max III Joseph Kurfürst in Bayern

Raab, Dr. Hubert: Cordonisten

Acknowledgments

An anonymous contributor for the initial version of this article